PDA

View Full Version : fairy wrasse disappearence

SSpitz4
10/31/2004, 07:43 PM
Hello~
I had just received a Flame Wrasse on Friday and added him to my 75 gal. tank. Tank mates are two tangs, emperor angel, tomato clown, three green chromis and a lawnmower blenny. Well, Friday all day he hung out in the open somewhat and was mildly pushed around by my yellow tang. Saturday morning I saw him unbury himself out of his sandbed then just disappeared into the rockwork. I have not seen him since. I am worried of him not getting any food as he has not even come out for food. He did eat a little on friday. Is this anything I should be conserned about. Just wondering if this is typical for newly intoduced fairy wrasses. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
SherryS.

bronco7777
10/31/2004, 08:24 PM
No that is not typical. Even though he was swimming a bit on friday that doesn't mean he wasn't already sick. I'm assuming by reading this post that you didn't QT him???

Fairy wrasses have voracious appetites. If he's not coming out to feed then he must be sick.

I'd get him out and into a QT as soon as possible for his sake and for the sake of your other fishes.

Gargausius
11/01/2004, 12:38 AM
I agree, this is highly atypical of a healthy fairy wrasse. Hiding of the nature you described is due to stress. Did you treat and quarantine like bronco asked? Since you mentioned the Yellow Tang bullying around, I suspect that to be the cause. Your tank is pretty crowded anyways, so why not just separate the fariy wrasse and put him in his own tank. You'll be much happier in the end. It would be such a shame to see it go. After a while, the fish should come out often and eat like a friggin' pig! It might even eventually recognize that you're going to feed it when you come up to the tank! Good luck.

starfish123
11/01/2004, 03:04 PM
you might want to make sure the lawnmower blenny isn't bothering him. Sometimes they attack fish of similar shape.

SSpitz4
11/01/2004, 05:47 PM
Well, thanks for the responses and Yes I should have qt'd him. I found my MIA wrasse of all places in my overflow box. This was accidently as I was cleaning the overflow prefilter. I went to put it back and there he was. This just before I was going on the hunt in the main aquarium. Didn't have to move a single rock! Can't believe it. He is fine and is eating well in qt.
SherryS