PDA

View Full Version : CopperBanded ButterFly

jaf
10/31/2004, 12:31 PM
I got one of these to rid my tank of Aptasia. He is doing a great job, but now Im starting to worry about what to try to feed him when the aptasia is gone. He will not touch Cyclopese....ground scallops or OSI flakes. Anyone have any food that these guys like..................thanks

bobherbertperry
10/31/2004, 12:32 PM
you could always try mysis shrimp they seem to be able to get alot of fish to eat. I think the strong smell attracts them, anyways it would be worth a try

cknowlto
10/31/2004, 12:52 PM
I wonder if there would be a market for little plexiglass sheets covered with baby aptasia to feed CBB's ?

jaf
10/31/2004, 01:20 PM
funny thing is we talked about having a small junk tank to grow aptasia just to feed these fish. there has to be an easier way though

DT's_Reef
10/31/2004, 01:35 PM
My CBB didn't touch food until I bought some clams in the shell from the market, opened one up and dragged a razor blade over the flesh to make it easier to pick apart, and put it in the tank. He went nuts and then after ate mysis with gusto.

bdavis
10/31/2004, 02:04 PM
My CBB was a very slow and deliberate feeder. I have seen on the market perforated balls (maybe slots) where the long snout of the CBB could get in and the other fish could not. Something like a cat toy with the bell inside. May if you could find a way to get one opened up, get the bell out then use a zip tie to hang and close it up. Give the slow eaters a chance to compete. Just a thought.

Bob

Kent E
10/31/2004, 03:51 PM
Go to Petco and get marine cusine in the freezer. It should eat it. If not take it to a tank where one is eating so it can learn.
Kent

Gary Majchrzak
10/31/2004, 08:54 PM
My CBB's would all take small VibraGro pellets that sink to the bottom of the tank.

cknowlto
10/31/2004, 09:22 PM
If there is an interest, I'll start a 10 gal aptasia tank. I got most of the stuff except for the tank. I have a bandsaw and I can get some thin acrylic or plexiglass to make small sheets to be colonized.

Up to you guys though.

I understand that there is some risk in introducing aptasia to an established tank that has none. It is a dilemma that I have been thinking about lately.

Gary Majchrzak
11/01/2004, 05:51 AM
Just pass me your CBB's!:D

pappasth
11/01/2004, 08:04 AM
Good luck Jaf..... I had one in my 220 for that very reason..... he cleared the Aptasia up and then wiped out quite a population of fan worms.... I did see him eat an occasional mysis shrimp but then he would spit it back out. I tried a bunch of different stuff but could never get him to eat enough. I lost him in about 6 months

jaf
11/03/2004, 08:24 PM
My CBB will eat mysis shrimp and then spit it out. Today I got him some live brine shrimp and he piged out. Tom at TRS said get him used to me feeding him and he will prob eat alot of differant things. The live brine is a good start..he loves them. Thanks for all your advice, I think he is gonna be ok.