PDA

View Full Version : AGA Twin Flow Overflo Kit - overfilled sump

ronhjr
10/31/2004, 10:54 AM
Ok,
I have a 180g AGA tank w/ Twin Overflo's.
Well last night I lost power and my sump overflowed.
So i pulled out my directions and noticed on the AGA Twin flow
overflow kit instructions, and read that on the 3/4' elbow on the
return ( before the return nozzle) their should be a small hole- to act as a anti-siphon feature for power outage to the sump.
Ok- Mine doesnt have any hole////.... I can drill the hole- no problem, but the question is- how big, and where on the 3/4 elbow should I drill it?
Pleae help me asap w/ your opions!
Thanks, Ron

MrZ
10/31/2004, 11:09 AM
My advice - pull the twin flow and replace it with a durso mod.

It won't set you back much more than 5-10 dollars worth of pvc and will run quieter and will not siphon.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

-Rob

EdKruzel
10/31/2004, 11:19 AM
Rob is 100% here, Durso Pipes are the way to go; but just to answer your question; the hole should be a minimum of 5/16ths and placed on the inner crease of the elbow.

Back to once again sing the praises of the Durso Pipe; the hole drilled on the overflow will need regular maintenance to keep the algae from blocking it. This maintenance is often overlooked and will cause a flood just the same as what you have encountered.

The Duso Pipe is maintenance free plus it will cut down on the noise.

Good Luck,
Ed

TangmanBC
10/31/2004, 11:50 AM
I agree with all the threads but are you sure the overflow came from the overflow and not the return line from the pump, when the power goes off what prevents a back flow??

d4a2n0k
10/31/2004, 11:58 AM
This has nothing to do with his standpipes. In fact, the AGA standpipes work great and are silent. His problem is the return line.

You either have to make sure that the return nozzles are not too far below the water level in the tank or drill a small (1/16" to 1/8") hole in the side of the 90 degree bend just before your return nozzle and below your water line. I bet you have the return nozzles are few inches below the water level and thats why you had such a big siphon.

I have my return nozzles only about a half inch below the water level so that way if I lose power, it will only siphon about 2 gallons of water before the siphon breaks.

TangmanBC
10/31/2004, 12:01 PM
that s what I was trying to say

MrZ
10/31/2004, 04:33 PM
Ahh my bad sorry.

I thought you were losing the volume of water in the overflow chamber down into your sump. The water line between the top of the overflow and end of your return tube is MUCH more water.

whilb
10/31/2004, 05:43 PM
I put a check valve in the return . end of problem

mm949
10/31/2004, 06:58 PM
DO NOT RELY ON A CHECK VALVE!!! drill a 1/4" hole inside the overflow box on the 3/4" return pipe just below the 90, angle it so it points down into the overflow box. If it's a new MegaOverflow kit it already has durso drain pipes. To double check maxium water volume in sump, shut down system and fill sump 1" from top, turn on system and wait for water in sump to equalize out, then mark current water level and make sure you don't go over it. Check valves will erode over time with saltwater!

MrZ
10/31/2004, 06:59 PM
This is a shot of a stock AGA overflow return ell, notice the predrilled hole:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/49869megaflow_ell_hole.jpg

ronhjr
10/31/2004, 08:19 PM
Thank You All !!!!!

At first after ready the post I did move my return nozzle closer to the surface of the water level, and shut down the power, and my sump didnt overflo!!!
I will in the comming days try to drill the ELL, below the 90 degree angle so the water would shoot back into the overflo!!!

Big Thanks to ALL!!!!!!!!!

tygger
11/01/2004, 12:20 PM
I also have the new megaflow kit, but Im not using their standard return. Here's a pic of my setup. Where should I drill a hole?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/63293IMG_1601s.jpg