PDA

View Full Version : Condensation under tank

baz
10/28/2004, 05:27 PM
Seems or I believe I am having a condensation issue under my tank. The door near the sump is damp, I have checked and it does not seem like the tank is leaking I was wondering if anyone has this issue if so what did you do to correct it?

Thanks,

Baz

Navyblue
10/28/2004, 08:32 PM
May be you need to ventilate it. Or is it caused by water spray from the sump?

baz
10/28/2004, 09:03 PM
I think water spray from the sump

orandito
11/02/2004, 07:10 PM
let me guees ,you didn't paint the stand in the inside

baz
11/02/2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by orandito
let me guees ,you didn't paint the stand in the inside

Thats not the issue the issue is I am loosing up to 3 gallons a day on a 120G Surely this is not evaporation and to make things worse I am now seeing salt where the two doors join together and nowhere else,

Ideas?

3_high_low
11/02/2004, 10:22 PM
My tank is evaporating a lot more now that it is less humid. (~2.5 gallons or so from my 110g.) I was beginning to think I may have a leak but I know I don't lol.

BTW, if you have a leak and you are just adding FW top-off, then you would notice a significant drop in salinity.

As for the damp door, it's probably just spray from the sump. Try putting a lid on the sump:).

OTOH, it could be condensation if the door is colder than the moist air inside the cabinet.

3_high_low
11/02/2004, 10:23 PM
You do have a sump. Right?:)

john rochon
11/03/2004, 09:11 AM
from what I can gather, you have an enclosed sump area under your tank that is not ventilated. of course its super humid under there:eek: were your seeing the salt is probaly were air is being sucked out from the outside pressure. you'll have to ventilate it.you can cut a hole in the side, run 3'' 0r 4'' dryer tube to a turbine fan [small quiet low rated cfm] and run it to the outside.
you can also hook your canopy up to the same system. 3 gallons on your size tank is actually low evaporation! 5 to 8g is more normal[believe it:cool: ]

john rochon
11/03/2004, 09:12 AM
p.s if you had a leak you'd know it!

baz
11/03/2004, 03:52 PM
well everyone is making me feel better. LIke is said I can see salt creep but only near the doors. I thought salt would mean a leak since it does not evaporate!

I guess first thing is first, to vent the inside of the tank!

Good job i love this hobby,

Baz

orandito
11/03/2004, 09:29 PM
also try to avoid any splashing you have ,that makes water evaporates faster and keep an eye on your temperature too.lots of splashes high temp,water evaporates like nothing.uh and if you have metal hilides and vho's you need a lot of ventilation in that hood