PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Eels!

LobsterOfJustice
10/26/2004, 08:31 PM
I've been trying to think of some eel species for a FOWLR that is under 100 gallons and I've come up with the following. If anyone has any information or experience with these eels please share.

Gymnothorax eurostus

Gymnothorax hepaticus

Gymnothorax miliaris

Uropterygius concolor

Muraena lentiginosa

The last one, a Jeweled Moray, is listed as 2' in length and happy in a 50 gal on liveaquaria.com, but marine depot says its over 5' long and needs at least 200 gallons....

cypres
10/26/2004, 08:55 PM
I would recommend a snowflake eel. I have one and I love him. He is really cool and very peaceful.

ledford1
10/26/2004, 09:11 PM
Well, I don't see a snowflake moray, but I can tell you a bit about him. I used to have one in my 90. He was about 15." He was a great fish. The guy at the lfs dropped him (more like the eel wiggled away) when getting him out of the tank, dropping to the tile floor. I was a little worried, but he was tough and made it through. In fact, he got out of my tank twice - the first night he was in the tank and the first night I set the tank up after moving. Each time, I found him on the floor the morning and just put him back. He would recover in a day or two. I kept the tank covered, and the lights weighted down the top, but he still made it out somehow. He never bothered any other fish, but he would get close to smell them. I kept him with an algae blenny, volitan, a yellow tang, and a B&W Heniochus. Once in awhile, I would feed live feeders. He enjoyed that, chasing them down. I don't know how he distinguished them from his tankmates though - smell? He hid most of the day, sticking his head out from under the rockwork I built for him. He knew, though, that when the lights dimmed, it was feeding time, and he would come out swimming all over the tank searching for the food. I usually fed Ocean Nutrition's Formula One and Formula Two. He did manage to get out one last time. I don't know how he pushed his way out. I hadn't seen him for a few days, but I'd looked on the floor and didn't see him. I finally found him under a sack laying in the room. It was a sad day. The snowflake is an attractive, easy-to-care-for, hardy eel. But, as with other eels, make sure the top of the tank is securely closed.