PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactors

Thomas B.
10/25/2004, 09:36 AM
I'm doing a major upgrade to my 90g tank. adding sump, uv filter, new hood (I'm building myself) w/ metal halides and pc lighting along with what I already have.....I'm looking for and education on calcium reactors installation and use.....anyone with exp. in this area?

reeftechie
10/25/2004, 10:00 AM
Sure what do you need to know Thomas?

pbs911
10/25/2004, 11:11 AM
Go here (http://www.cnidarianreef.com/) and click on the calcium reactor primer on the right hand side. This should answer alot of your basic questions. BTW, I have a GEO unit run off my return line and love it.

Thomas B.
10/25/2004, 08:58 PM
I understand the basics of a CR....I understand how the CO2 lowers the ph to allow the water to dissolve the calcium and return it to the system. How does one monitor the level of calcium to keep it at the 440 ppm (I've read this is ideal) so that one does not over-do it or get the ph too low or not do enough. I've read of systems where people have incorporated monitors to do all of this for them but I cannot find any products that match these descriptions.

I am just about done with my new hood and am currently building a "pump house" outside the house, just opposite the wall of my tank, where I plan to place all of the equipment, sump, mixing drum, UV sterilizer, ballasts and so on. So I need to plan for a not too distant future as I start the coral investment to put in the calcium reactor.....I've had this tank for 3 years and have just finally got a handle of the whole thing.....Looking forward to many more years of this fun (but spendy) hobby