PDA

View Full Version : Seaweed Blennies have laid eggs - want to raise fry

larsson
10/23/2004, 12:16 AM
My seaweed blennies have spawned and laid a patch of eggs 1.5-2 inches in diameter on the back glass of the aquarium. I am interested in trying to raise the fry. Currently in the tank is a pinfish (common bait fish), as well as a frillfin goby. Any recommendations on what to do next? I just noticed the eggs about 2 days ago and they laid more today.

Putawaywet
10/23/2004, 01:59 AM
Well, In the short term you might start by searching the web (using their scientific name) to see if you can find any information on captive rearing this particular species.

In lieu of that, I'm not real familar with blennies in general, let alone this particular species, but I'd have to assume that since the eggs are attched to the back glass they aren't mouth brooders.

So, first I'd try and find a way to determine if they are viable (fertilized), since trying to do anything with infertile eggs is pretty much a waste of time and energy. A petri dish filled with the egg cluster and some tank water under a dissecting scope would be the preferred method - letting them sit for a week to see if they change color or turn to mush is the cheaper alternative.

If they are indeed viable, then find a way to isolate the eggs while still keeping them accessible to oxygenated water flow. Try looking at some of the online vendors such as www.aquaticeco.com to see what they have for egg or larval rearing containers.

If all else fails, pick up a critter keeper from your local LFS and drill a bunch of holes around the perimeter and then cover them from the inside with the smallest mesh you can find.... something like bridal veil material.

Then, suspend the container in the tank by way of string or airline tubing so the eggs are submerged but remain inside the container. They prob shouldn't be tumbling around in there so place them where they get flow but are content to stay in one spot. Cover the container so the eggs aren't being blasted by your lighting.

Now, start figuring out your feeding regime. Having no idea what these guys eat I'm pretty much going off my experience and best guess - rotifers could very likely be in the equation somewhere with newly hatched brine shrimp being almost a given. This could mean live food culturing from phyto up to an including artemia.

After that, you'll now need a rearing tank, A pseudo-kreisel would probably be the preferable first choice if their larval stage is palegic. Or, in place of that I'd probably leave them in the critter keeper for the time being.

You''re going to need a good concentration of food to water volume so be prepared to add food multiple times a day.

Along with all of this, an incredible amount of luck will more than likely be needed as well. Rearing marine fish is defintely in it's infancy and the success rate for even the hardiest of animals is dicey at best.

Best of luck to you.

Brett