PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Fish stung by Foxface

ReefGeekster
10/22/2004, 11:35 PM
What are the symptoms and treatment of a fish that was stung by a foxface? :confused:

proenca
10/23/2004, 07:28 PM
symptoms could be paralesia and chooking ....

as far treatment goes, now thats much more difficult : foxface venom is like the pterois ( lionfish ) , which is based on a fatty protein . the best way to counter it is to put the affected spot under a hot water ( not scalding, just bareable hot ) because that would destroy the protein.

now, if are using this method onto a fish, I serious doubt that he will survive the hot water temperature.

is the fish stung a small one ? if he his, he could be in trouble.. if not, I think the venom should go away, since the venom in the foxface is for defense and not to attack, therefore the lethal value is low, unless the target is a small fish which the high concentration of venom could lead to death.

adrinal
10/24/2004, 08:34 PM
I'm looking for something to eat up some nasty red spongy algea I have. One of the potential consumers seems to be a foxface. I am worried about their poision though... should I be? How bad would a sting to a 90lb person be?