PDA

View Full Version : Pink Tip Anemone and $%&@#$ Hermit Crab

guitar_lord
10/22/2004, 06:04 PM
I've had a hermit crab in my tank for quite sometime.. when I bought it from the LFS it was labelled "Hermit Crab." I was also informed when I bought it, that it was reef safe.

I bought a pink tip anemone about a week ago and it seems to be doing great. I just fed my tank and spot fed the anemone when all of a sudden my hermit crab went postal and started taking food out of the anemone's mouth..

While doing this I watched the crab pinch one of the anemone's tenticles and it basically deflated it...

anyone have experience with this?
What the heck should I do?!?!

febeast
10/22/2004, 06:12 PM
I think this is just the nature of the beast. The crab wanted food and the anemone had it. Next time make sure the crab is on the other side of the tank. Anemones are slow to take their food, so if you give it some time to take it, all should be fine.

guitar_lord
10/22/2004, 06:19 PM
yeah.. I noticed that there were a few other tenticles that were deflated.. Im now wondering if the crab did it by accident or if hes been munching on my anemone while I was at work today....

febeast
10/22/2004, 06:25 PM
I have never seen that before, but I couldn't say it has never happened. Some crabs can be very agressive. Maybe you should take it out as a precaution.