PDA

View Full Version : Adverse atinic lighting affects??

Magnumreef
10/22/2004, 08:18 AM
:confused: How does Atinic Lighting ( or even moon lighting) affect fish and coral???

I have a year and a half old 50g reef tank with a 15g sump (no refugium) and I run 96watts of 50/50 lighting for 10 hrs/day. I am setting up a 180g tank w/ reef safe fish, inverts & sps & softies. This new tank will be in the family room where we do all our entertaining and spend most of our time.

Later in the evening when the lights would normally be off I would like to run something so that tank is still the show piece (Instead of a giant glass bucket of water that can't be viewed properly)

Can I run atinics or moon lighting for long periods of time without having an adverse affect on the inhabitants of my underwater world, would this have any affect on the growth of algae or would this negatively affect something else I haven't thought of??

Thanx in advance

Darryl

playful1
10/22/2004, 08:59 AM
I run my actinics for about an hour a helf longer than my halides, they come on 45mins. before the halides and go off 45 mins later. And my moonlights are on all night...

Magnumreef
10/23/2004, 11:34 PM
Playful1

Thank you for the information is very helpful to me, can you tell me what you are running for a atinics and also what type of moonlight you have, how many, what wattage and is it possible to see a picture .
Thanks for the info, hope you don't mind if I copy some of your setup.

Darryl