PDA

View Full Version : Recommended lighting for Clams?

ReefRockerLive
10/21/2004, 02:53 PM
I am going to setup a 75 gallon reef with mostly clams and SPS corals.
I was thinking about going with dual 250w with 2x96w PC actincs.
Would this wattege of lighting keep my clams happy or would I need some more lighting?
Thanks

derrikd
10/21/2004, 03:18 PM
i think that this would be great for clams

Leviathan
10/21/2004, 03:26 PM
Thats plenty of light for just about all clams, and will give you the ability to dictate where they will be in your system ( not being confined to the top portion due to lower light )

But I would advise waiting for at the very least 8-10 months in a new system, before adding a clam. This combined with frequent water tests will help the tank mature and go a long way in helping a first clam to survive and thrive. ( If you are new to SPS, this will also help your odds of having sucess with them )

HTH

ReefRockerLive
10/21/2004, 03:55 PM
I've currently have a 55 gallon reef with Clams and a couple SPS corals and a 2x175w MH w/ 2x40w Actinic lighting. It's been setup for 10 months already, but has a couple problems with phosphates and bits and pieces of grape algae. I was planning on creating an exact repleca of my 55 reef to my 75 reef by transfering the water to the new tank will everything be the same as it currently is with my tank? As soon as I place everything in the tank, will I be able to put my current clams in the new tank right off the bat?
LMK
Thanks

Leviathan
10/21/2004, 04:17 PM
If this is an upgrade I dont see any reason why they cant be transfered. I had to do the same thing with a clam and two small SPS frags when I got my 90 gallon, without any harmfull effects.

I would just keep a close eye on everything and give it a little while to re-stabalize before adding anything new to the mix.

I would acclimate everything to the new lights though. When I made the 175-250 switch I cut my photoperiod to 2 hours and added an hour every third day untill I was back up to 8 hours.

clkwrk
10/21/2004, 05:17 PM
I waited a year before adding my first clam to my 44 gallon. So far so good with 150de reefstar above the tank.

James Yeung
10/22/2004, 03:57 PM
I'm using 250x2 DE's (see signature for more info) for my 72G. I have 9 Croceas and 1 Squammy for almost 1 year. All doing great!

http://www.exquisiteaudio.ca/drebel/72g-reef.jpg

James

proenca
10/22/2004, 06:26 PM
James, great picture, I'm a sucker for clams also ;-)

ReefRockerLive
10/22/2004, 07:01 PM
James Yeung, what type of Kelvin bulb were you using? 10K?
LMK
Thanks

P.S.-I also need to decide what type of Kelvin rating bulbs I will choose. 14K or 20K?

James Yeung
10/22/2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks!

Good question about the K. I don't remember. I'll try to get a good look at the bulb over the weekend.

Here's a closer pic of my clams (right side of the tank).

http://www.exquisiteaudio.ca/drebel/clamsright.jpg

James

ReefRockerLive
10/22/2004, 09:47 PM
I gotta say, those clams of yours are Jaw-Droppingly beautiful.
I can't wait to get my 75 setup!

Thanks everyone for their great advice and help.

James Yeung
10/24/2004, 02:42 AM
Thanks!

I just looked at the bulb. Without taking apart the hood (the model # is slightly hidden), but it should be a Giesemann 14k DE bulb.

BTW, take note that I haven't seen another 72G with as many clams as I have. I'm sure that are others out there, but I haven't seen them yet. I have clams ranging from 2"-5.5" in size and my methods are somewhat against the grain.

I discontinued phyto feeding (I was using Kent dead phyto) more than 6 months ago. I currently see no difference in growth rates and health. My last water change was almost 4 months ago and I don't plan to change the water (30%) for another 8 months. I only do 30% water changes and the longest I've gone without a 30% water change was 6 months and everything looked just as good since day one. I don't use additives except for topping off with limewater, seldomly baking soda and turbo calcium. All additives are DIY. Mind you, I have a flourishing 72G refuge and a 75G sump. Therefore, lots of water and low bio-load and I guess I can get away with certain things. :-)

All water parameters are normal including unmeasureable nitrates and phosphates.

James