PDA

View Full Version : Remote MH ballasts - quick-disconnect and other ?'s

der_wille_zur_macht
10/21/2004, 11:02 AM
Hello everyone-

I'm no electrician and therefore looking for advice on planning the lighting wiring for my next tank - a 120g room divider.

I'll have two MH bulbs over the tank - either 250w or 400w SE. The tank will be on the first floor of my house. I'd like to mount the ballasts in the basement below.

First obvious question - any problem with remote-mounting the ballasts? The run from the mounting point up to the hood will probably be about 15' - 20'.

Second (still obvious) question - what to use for cable over that run from the ballasts up to the lights? Regular old 12/3 like the stuff in my walls?

Third question - I'd like to have a quick-disconnect in the wiring, located in the stand below the tank - so I can unplug the harness to remove the hood, etc. My first thought was to run the wiring up to standard outlets and just wire standard 3-prong plugs on to the harnesses from the mogul sockets. Though, after more consideration, that seemed like a dangerous idea - I could label the sockets clearly, but there's still the chance that someone would plug something else in to them at some point in time.

So, does anyone have a reccomendation for something to use? My second thought was to use a plug with a different configuration (seems like there are a billion different types for washers, dryers, elecric ranges, etc) but I'm not sure if any of them would be suitable for this application.

Anyone have a suggestion?

reef-man_d-man
10/21/2004, 11:20 AM
15' shouldnt be a problem but read the label on the ballasts.

I would get some Indoor outdoor sheilded black wire from Lowes or Home Depot for the wire. You want 12/2 not 12/3, 12/3 is for 220 systems. 12/2 has a hot a common and a ground.

Lowes and Home Depot both have 120 volt quick disconnect locking units. Ask the person in the wire cutting area about them. I personally like the big wierd connecting type. I will try and find a picture of one.

reef-man_d-man
10/21/2004, 11:29 AM
It wont let me copy the images however here are some plugs

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1057486138.1098375661@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddadcmlghklmgcgelceffdfgidgnk.0&MID=9876

and the wire I use is here
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/reef-man_d-man/stuff0015.jpg