PDA

View Full Version : Pre filter boxes on your HOT skimmers? Yeah or neah

visoredge
10/20/2004, 04:06 PM
Hey everyone,
was thinking about getting the Aqua C remora, and was debating whether or not to get the pre filter box.
I've heard they are bulky...

Has anyone done a before and after semi-objectively compared it with and without the box?

Also, do you guys like the drain plug option, to train out the muck?

reefez
10/20/2004, 04:28 PM
I have the Remora pro on my 55 without the overflow box. I don't think it is a very good piece of equipment as the water height changes in most tanks a lot. this would make it useless, and they take a lot of room in the tank. I am moveing up to a 100 gal. and I am keeping my Remora Pro. I'll just run it in the sump. It is a great skimmer. Best HOTB I have seen :)

Don424
10/20/2004, 05:43 PM
reefez..........what about the drain plug on the skimmer. You forgot to answer that part of his question. I'm interested myself as to what you think of the drain plug since I don't have one on my Excaliber

Agu
10/20/2004, 05:50 PM
I had a prefilter box on a Bakpak and it was bulky. So I sawed off about 1.5 inches and made the intake angle more severe.

I liked it because it would surface skim and also because it looks better than the pump and etc hanging in the tank.

jmo,

Agu

spotszilla
10/20/2004, 07:08 PM
I have a Remora C with the skimmer box. Its a little large, but not overly. It removes all of that oily film that always seems to be on the surface of your water. I like it. You will have to keep an eye on your water level, and I removed the sponge that came with it cause I got tired of cleaning it all the time.