PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang+Regal Tang??

seek19
10/18/2004, 04:15 PM
Hi all

I'm currently planning on getting a Yellow Tang as it has such a great color and i've heard that they help to eat hair algae. However, i already have a Regal/Blue tang in my tank and i've heard that tang don't do well with each other. I have seen Yellow tang put together with Regal tang once before in a resturant display tank and the Regal would sometime chase the Yellow.

Can u guys give me some advice if i can keep them together or not?? My Regal is rather small right now at only about 2inches and the yellow tang i'm planning on getting is way bigger at about 3~4 inches I THINK.

Will they do fine together?
Coz in the recent TFH they say Yellow tang only act aggressive toward other Yellow tang

Thx for reading

slimytadpole
10/18/2004, 04:28 PM
The tangs will likely fight in anything short of a 300 Gallon tank. Also, How big is your tank?

speccialj922
10/18/2004, 06:19 PM
yeah, thats a pointless question without a tank size listing. like slimytadpole said, they will need a fairly large tank. im pretty conservative (only when it comes to tangs!!!!) and i think that a 200g will be a minimal size to house these guys in without conflict.

im sure there will be plenty of people posting that they have done this in a 150 or smaller with no problems... but for every one person that is able to do this, there are 5 or 10 that are not.

(tangs are a delicate issue on this board. i'm going to tell you now that you are not going to get a consensus on this issue and it will most likely go on for at least 3 pages)

szwab
10/20/2004, 04:55 AM
watch out for the tang police ;)

Reefmaniac1
10/20/2004, 05:08 AM
Well, I'm in violation...I have a Blue (aka Regal) Tang in my 90g along with a Clown Tang. Both are about 3 inches long. Of course, I plan on getting a larger tank within about 2 years, so I am not worrying about size issues.

Dunkn
10/20/2004, 07:25 AM
well there is a dude from my area that has a yellow and a powder brown tang in the same tank, its 75gal btw. at first the fish didn't get along. But a couple days later the fish stoped bothering each other and now they don't go near one another..

So in my opinion it can be done, but there is a always the risk, and you don't want to spend all the money for the tang, just for it not to work.

Duncan

bluerage
10/20/2004, 11:44 AM
Hi

I have a 3" yellow and added a small regal, they are both the
same size now and seem to be getting on ok :-)

Dunkn
10/20/2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by bluerage
Hi

I have a 3" yellow and added a small regal, they are both the
same size now and seem to be getting on ok :-)

What size tank though?

Duncan

seek19
10/20/2004, 04:27 PM
Today i walked by a dental office and there is a small tank(30G MAX. for sure) inside with one Regal Tang, one Yellow Tang, even a Picasso trigger, and some other fish(can't remember what)swimming together peacefully....this is getting confusing

I'm guessing it depends on the fish??
Coz like i said, this is not the first time i see them together already. and both time they are not in a 200~300G tank.

BTW i only have a 90G now but will switch to a bigger tank pretty soon

szwab
10/20/2004, 06:37 PM
no sure fire definates in this hobby that's for sure.
I really wouldn't feel comfortable saying a 200 or 300 gallon is enough space when compared to where they were taken from. bigger tanks are better but not ideal. you just need to keep an eye on the fish if there is stress then you should change the circumstances if all is well then you are one step ahead of others. but to give one tank size over another to me is rationalization. Tangs are space loving/needy fish, they like to swim and have territory. the yellow and regal are different enough size, shape and color that you will probably be ok for a while at least....

JDM130
10/20/2004, 07:33 PM
I am not one of the Tang Police, but I will say this. My tank is 360gal. and I have a full grown Regal Tang (12"+ and very fat) and to be honest, my tank is not big enough for it. He swims around my tank like a giant torpedo, I feel bad now because this fish will never again be able to dart across the tank again because of his size, and upgrading to a larger tank is not an option. But what do I do, most LFS don't have any tanks as big as mine, plus catching it would be very difficult in this tank. also, it is a pet. Ive had him many years now and have become very attached to it.

Please take this stuff in to consideration when purchasing one of these awesome fish.

zemuron114
10/20/2004, 10:56 PM
A local Aquarium would def. take it. I love near boston aquarium, and they said they would take anything as long as it is healthy. If that is not an option, then try to sell it or give it away to someone who has a big tank... I feel the same way about my snowflake :) had him for 2 years and has trippled in size. (more) But i am upgrading to a 720 hopefully in the near future.

good luck!

bluerage
10/22/2004, 02:13 PM
Tank is a 260 ltr, but they started out in a 180

tygger
10/22/2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by JDM130
I am not one of the Tang Police, but I will say this. My tank is 360gal. and I have a full grown Regal Tang (12"+ and very fat) and to be honest, my tank is not big enough for it. He swims around my tank like a giant torpedo, I feel bad now because this fish will never again be able to dart across the tank again because of his size, and upgrading to a larger tank is not an option. But what do I do, most LFS don't have any tanks as big as mine, plus catching it would be very difficult in this tank. also, it is a pet. Ive had him many years now and have become very attached to it.

Please take this stuff in to consideration when purchasing one of these awesome fish.

JDM, I must say that your tank looks awesome! Btw- we also have a pug :)

JDM130
10/22/2004, 04:03 PM
Tygger... Thanks! pugs are awesome arent they? I actually have 2 of them and wouldnt trade them for the world!!

Jeff