PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs skimmer for nifty nano

MatthewS
10/15/2004, 09:08 PM
Hi everybody, I just joined Reef Central today and I already have a question. I'm 14 and I have been keeping and breeding discus for nearly a year now. About 2 month ago I set up a 10g reef tank with a 30g sump (trash can). I currently have a branching anchor coral, some pulsing xenia, a blue damsel, an arrow crab, and a fire shrimp. I want to build my tank into an all out reef. I was wondering, what is a good yet <b>INEXPENSIVE</b> protein skimmer that would fit my needs? I've seen all sorts of stuff, but I don't know what to choose. Thanks for your input! Please help!!

prodman
10/15/2004, 09:15 PM
the only small skimmer that I would use is a aqua c remora get the maxi jet upgrade. Its around 163.00 at marine depot .com. But in a tank so small if you dont get anymore fish and keep up your waterchanges you might not even need one.
good luck and welcome to saltwater-Paul

Jaffa
10/15/2004, 09:39 PM
Remora is your best bet. You can go skimmerless if you want. Just do not get a Seaclone whatever you do!!!

jjmg
10/15/2004, 09:44 PM
On a tank that size, I'd go skimmerless and do a 10% water change weekly. The bio load in the tank will be small compared to the total amount of water in the system.

The water changes will also help add the micronutrients that the tank needs. Your only talking 4 or 5 gals a week. If you really felt like it you could do a 1 gal change every day and keep all the levels very steady in the tank. It would only take a couple minutes as long as you mix your water on the weekends.

gws294
10/15/2004, 11:26 PM
I like jjmg's idea

hofbro
10/15/2004, 11:59 PM
Don't think you need a skimmer, try doing a 10-20 % water change every week or two. Also recommend at least 1 pound of live rock per gallon (of the main tank), helps with the filtering and will help keep the good little critters. Watch the size on the damsel, may get aggresive torwards anything else in a smaller tank like that (specially when it gets BIGGER). Also recommend a couple of snails (astrea and nars would be good for a 10 gallon), to help with algea.

joeychitwood
10/16/2004, 06:47 AM
I agree that a skimmer is not needed with adequate water changes. It's easy to do a 2-3 gallon change whenever needed. Any skimmer worth the money is going to be huge in relation to your tank.

MatthewS
10/16/2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks for your responses! I think I'll save my money and just keep up the water changes. In response to hofbro, I do have 15lbs of live rock and a 1" bed of live sand. Also I have 1 Mexican turbo snail (who I forgot to mention).

<marquee><b>Thanks!</b> :fish1:</marquee>

Subrafta
10/16/2004, 10:32 AM
If you decide to go with a skimmer, consider one that will fit in your sump rather than on the tank.

The AquaC remora is a great skimmer, I've got one on my 37g tank, but it would look huge on your 10g tank. The AquaC Urchin is an in-sump version of the Remora, and you have lots of other AquaC and Euroreef in-sump options. Sign up for h2otropicals.com's Euroreef "blems" mailing list for the best prices on new ones, or watch the Used Equiment forum.

You might also consider a post in the nano reefs forum.

Hope this helps,

John

shred5
10/16/2004, 10:41 AM
If you really want a skimmer.. you can try one of the smaller air driven skimmers that go in the tank (they look like crap and require you to change airstones out, but they work) A remora is a great skimmer but big for that tank... Tunze also sells some skimmers that will fit on the side of the tank,,,

Dave

MatthewS
10/16/2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks, John! I'll check out those skimmers and that site more closely.

Dave, I have looked at quite a few of those air driven skimmers. Which ones do you think are best? Could I put any of these in my sump (30g trash can)?

shred5
10/16/2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by MatthewS
Thanks, John! I'll check out those skimmers and that site more closely.

Dave, I have looked at quite a few of those air driven skimmers. Which ones do you think are best? Could I put any of these in my sump (30g trash can)?

for some reason I was thinking you wanted a hang on skimmer...

If you are looking into a small sump skimmer the aqua c urchins are good...

also tunze make skimmers that would fit
like this one is real small...

link (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=T3110.2&Category_Code=TUNZESKIM)

Also You may want to ask Jason at premium aquatics about this skimmer.. I have no Idea if its good, but it is small and cheap...

link (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FI-SKIM-CLOSEOUT&Category_Code=Clearance)

Dave

gws294
10/17/2004, 09:53 PM
Dave,
If Matthew was to put one of these little skimmers into his sump... what would be the best way to control the depth of placement? In other words, the water level in the trash can is about 24" deep. should we build a little stand to put in the bottom and place the skimmer on top of it? and if so... how deep should the water be around the skimmer.

Thanks,
Geoff
(MatthewS's dad)