PDA

View Full Version : I Have a 4 foot Euchnid Worm. What should I do with it?

swclown
10/15/2004, 04:32 PM
i moved all my live rock, corals, sand, snail... MY REEF from a 125 gallon tank to an AGA 155 bowfront this past weekend. all went well for the most part. all the corals and fish are fine, but my rocks are like new now. most of them i had to scrub because of a recent bubble algae "attack". all the rocks are white so there's not a lot of color, but coraline will grow in no time.
ANYWAY, in the old tank i had a euchnid worm. actually he's still in there which bring me to my question... what the heck do i do with him. putting him in the new tank is NOT an option. he's cool and all but freakin ugly. i don't want to flush him and have a 40 foot long worm in the sewers.
i considered putting him in my new refug, but nah i'd still have to look at him from time to time, and i also think he took out my cleaner shrimp :mad2: and possibly a small 6 line wrasse :(

so do i have to actually kill the poor guy? lfs said they don't want him :mad:

he's in about an inch of sand and 1/2 inch of water now and has been for a week and the water has to be cold so i thought he might already gone but hell no.
so what can i do with him?

BTW i got a new tunze 6001 w/ controller and the thing is awesome!!! it was very difficult to find a way to mount it, but once i did and turned the sucker on it was worth it. the thing is incredible :)

SDRotary619
10/15/2004, 04:34 PM
Find a local reefer that might want it. Where are you at?

swclown
10/15/2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by SDRotary619
Find a local reefer that might want it. Where are you at?

sorry i need to update my stuff and make a sig

i'm in Baltimore, Md

moved back from near you (costa mesa) about 5 years ago :)

cowboy71
10/15/2004, 08:06 PM
This guy killed his - I don't think reefers want them cause of the worms diet.

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

Absint Reefer
10/15/2004, 08:24 PM
I feel bad for it if you are going to kill it at least feed it something like a huge grouper if their not pisonios I don't know much about these things

swclown
10/15/2004, 08:49 PM
Here's Eunice.
sorry it's kinda gross. she actually looks pretty cool in th tank

http://www.stlhosting.com/upload/DSCN0749s.JPG

swclown
10/15/2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by cowboy71
This guy killed his - I don't think reefers want them cause of the worms diet.

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

yup. i've seen that. this must be the cousin of that thing. :)

Bored Robot
10/15/2004, 11:05 PM
You could always do a species tank and see how big it gets! Or not....Hey I'm in the Baltimore area as well, can you recommend some good marine shops? I already go to Exotic Aquatics and the Aquarium Center.

thedude
10/15/2004, 11:27 PM
grind'em up and feed him to the tank.

romunov
10/16/2004, 01:10 AM
How do you know it's predatory?

weimluv1
10/16/2004, 03:23 AM
wow that is amazing!!!

if i had something like that the last thing i would do is get rid of her!

why not do a simple species only tank!?

the fact that you named here implies you think enough of her to keep her...

i think it's really quite rediculous we have these tanks and sometimes get sp. we don't want so we just kill them...

personally....you got her fair and square....you take care of her!

joeychitwood
10/16/2004, 06:30 AM
Remind me why it can't reside in the refugium?

Bored Robot
10/16/2004, 09:33 AM
why not do a simple species only tank!?

That's 2 votes for a species tank:D

jango
10/16/2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by thedude
grind'em up and feed him to the tank.
not a bad idea either...lol

reefmarker
10/16/2004, 09:36 AM
A little garlic, some butter, medium heat, parsley flakes....Ummmm Good!

Actually I would vote for a species tank if you could support it. Ask some local elementary schools if they would want it. I just took 2 different kinds of bristle worms and a brittle star to my oldest boys school and they loved it.

swclown
10/16/2004, 10:46 AM
interesting ideas. i think i may do the species tank thing. we'll see :)

swclown
10/16/2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by joeychitwood
Remind me why it can't reside in the refugium?

i plan on having other living things in there and i believe this thing is preditory. i read about how they can eat fish and inverts :)

SDRotary619
10/18/2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Bored Robot
That's 2 votes for a species tank:D

Make that 3 votes

tygger
10/18/2004, 11:45 AM
Species tank would be cool... lets see how big it can grow.

sdm
10/18/2004, 11:50 AM
Tallying it up after reading, plus my own, it is 6 votes species tank. :D

andycook
10/18/2004, 11:56 AM
Install a DSB and use it to keep the substrate stirred.

nitroxadvanced
10/18/2004, 02:04 PM
SP. tank thats 7 votes its AWSOME

Absint Reefer
10/18/2004, 07:30 PM
8 votes

GiuseppeDC
10/18/2004, 07:53 PM
swclown

I have the same worm in my tank. The only thing I've seen it eat is the Algae sheet that I put in for the angels. I've never seen it go after a shrimp or the fish. Heck my Maroon Clown has done more damage in the tank then the worm.

My kids love it and we feed it when they have friends over to gross them out. I'm planning on keeping mine in a refuge when I upgrade my system for as long as I can. I hear that some of these things can reach over 10 feet in length in the wild.

Good luck
Giuseppe

swclown
10/18/2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by GiuseppeDC
swclown

I have the same worm in my tank. The only thing I've seen it eat is the Algae sheet that I put in for the angels. I've never seen it go after a shrimp or the fish. Heck my Maroon Clown has done more damage in the tank then the worm.

My kids love it and we feed it when they have friends over to gross them out. I'm planning on keeping mine in a refuge when I upgrade my system for as long as I can. I hear that some of these things can reach over 10 feet in length in the wild.

Good luck
Giuseppe

yeah i'm keeping her i guess. i'm setting up the refug now as a temp place.
and i've heard that they grow to be 40 - 50 feet in the wild!!!!!!!

GiuseppeDC
10/18/2004, 09:01 PM
Well 40 to 50 feet. I better get a bigger tank and start charging admission for viewings in order to support it's up keep.