PDA

View Full Version : Help with Kalkreactor(precison marine).

melt
10/14/2004, 06:52 PM
I just hookup my Kalkreactor(precison marine).hear this now .I connect it to my reservoir which have my OSMOLATOR (auto topoff)

First, i startd the OSMOLATOR and start to watch it pumping the kalkwasser from the reactor..after looking down my feet were wet...the hoses wasn't connected good..LOL

finally , I notice after the OSMOLATOR shut off it start to reverse the kalkwasser back in the reservoir....is there anything that I can put on the hose to stop the reverse....or the reactor should stop it from doing that......

How much cup of kalkwasser should i put inthe reactor? precison marine instruction say 2 to 3 cups....

Iam new to this

sanderson
10/14/2004, 10:42 PM
I have the exact same set up as you (PM Kalkreactor - Osmolator) with a 5 gallon bucket as the reservoir. I had to purchase a check valve to stop the syphon back to the top off container. I had tried to raise the fresh water container above the sump to try and fix the problem. I ended up creating a different syphon and all the water in the bucket drained into the sump.

Thunnus
10/14/2004, 11:03 PM
You should always use a quality check valve with Nielson reactors. You should NEVER run your top off into your sump.

melt
10/15/2004, 12:01 AM
can i get one of these check valve from homedepot?

I don't want to order online and have to wait a next week.

Thunnus
10/15/2004, 12:16 AM
No.

sanderson
10/15/2004, 08:07 AM
Thunnus,

Are you saying that the top-off water should never go in the sump or that the tubing should never be submerged in the sump? I understand not submerging the return line to avoid a back siphon but why not add the make up water to the sump?

Thunnus
10/15/2004, 12:26 PM
If the reservoir is next to the sump and you pump water into the sump then as you know a syphon can be created, even if the end of the tube is above water. You want to run the tube up to your overflow box to guarantee no syphon.

Rendos
10/15/2004, 12:59 PM
I have my topoff reservoir (a 10 gallon tank drilled near the bottom of the tank) above the water level in my sump connected to a ReefTek Kalkreactor which is in turn connected to a float valve (Kent marine) in the sump. When water in sump gets low, the water from the reservoir flows via gravity into the reactor and then adds water (saturated with Kalk) back to the sump. I never have a back siphon.
I do not understand how if the tubing is above the water level that you will ever get a back siphon...what are you going to back siphon??? air???

melt
10/15/2004, 01:21 PM
ok thanks guys .I just was checking in my fish box and came accross an old check value that was on an air pump...I tried it and it work...anyhow it's bout 5 years old or more so I will pickup another one from my local petland