PDA

View Full Version : How do you have your quarantine tank setup?

Pretzeldude
10/14/2004, 12:48 PM
If anyone has time to share how their QT tank is setup, I'd sure appreciate it!

Size?, Filtration?, LR - yes or no?, lights?

My display tank is a 150g, but I don't intend to keep any fish any bigger than a Hippo Tang. So I was thinking that my QT tank didn't need to be too big.

I bought a glass 20g long from TFP the other day. I have some PVC cuttings for fish to hide in. Just don't know what to do for filtration etc. Is a small hang on back filter ok?

Thanks!

Ted

Steven Pro
10/14/2004, 12:53 PM
My thoughts on quarantine are here
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.htm

Pretzeldude
10/14/2004, 12:55 PM
StevenPro,

I literally had that article open in another browser window to print out to take home to read tonight! I'll let you know if I have any other questions. Thanks!

Tagamet
10/15/2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Pretzeldude
StevenPro,

I literally had that article open in another browser window to print out to take home to read tonight! I'll let you know if I have any other questions. Thanks!

I read Steven's article from start to finish, and it covers everything you or anyone else would need to know. Given this many faceted hobby (when it comes to advice), it was especially helpful to have other articles hotlinked in the references.
Great job, Steven,
Tagamet

Steven Pro
10/15/2004, 12:27 PM
I am glad you appreciated that Tag. I was trying to create a one stop listing for any and all potential problems.

Tagamet
10/15/2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by StevenPro
I am glad you appreciated that Tag. I was trying to create a one stop listing for any and all potential problems.

That's a nice thought, but I thought that you knew ME..
Tagamet

Pretzeldude
10/17/2004, 01:32 PM
Good info, again thanks for a great article. I'm going to be getting my cleanup crew soon. I'm leaning towards mostly snails. What should I feed them while in quaranteen?

JonK
10/18/2004, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure if you really need to quarintine your clean up crew. But then again, I don't quarintine anything.

Pretzeldude
10/18/2004, 01:00 PM
Well, I was going to go with Steven Pro's advice and try to qt everything. But, at the same time, the tank is new and in need of the crew soon. I'm starting to get diatoms already.

Tagamet
10/18/2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by JonK
I'm not sure if you really need to quarintine your clean up crew. But then again, I don't quarintine anything.

(Whispers) Duck and cover!

Tagamet

ErikD
10/18/2004, 01:50 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JonK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow...

JonK
10/18/2004, 02:39 PM
I have my flame suit on guys!!! I've only had 1 breakout of Ich since I started my tank. That was when I added 4 blue chromis. My sailfin tang and coral beauty got ich but they both pulled through without medication. I don't plan on adding anymore fish and I never felt corals needed to be isolated.

Steven Pro
10/18/2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Pretzeldude
Good info, again thanks for a great article. I'm going to be getting my cleanup crew soon. I'm leaning towards mostly snails. What should I feed them while in quaranteen?

I have had pretty good luck feeding snails and urchins in QT nori. Alternatively, you could just setup your QT system a little early, use some old water from the display, add a little food for excess nutrients, and pound it with light to encourage algae growth. Although, there are no gaurantees you won't get a phytoplankton bloom/green water instead of attached algal growths.