PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand

ol'salty
10/13/2004, 08:12 AM
Does anyone know of any place in the middle TN area where live sand containing "critters" can be purchased? I do not want to use the "bagged" type of live sand. Thanks for any info.

TN_sledge
10/13/2004, 08:27 AM
I think the best you can hope for with the bagged sand is some bacteria and not many critters. Same thing can be accomplished with time and seed sand from another system. Just my opinion.

Here is a list of Nashville stores. Not sure which one might carry it/
http://www.mtrc.org/directory.htm

gflat65
10/13/2004, 12:15 PM
You could check out FloridaPets.com. They sell bags of pods for around $10, I think. They have alot of litle things like that.

ol'salty
10/13/2004, 06:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your reply. Since I cannot find southdown or yardright anywhere, I will use bagged live sand and let my soon to be added live rock do the rest. Then buy some critters!

Jason, Tried to PM you, bet keep getting a messege that the data base is down. Will try again tommorow...Thanks! Dave

TN_sledge
10/13/2004, 08:06 PM
Cool, what size tank?

ol'salty
10/14/2004, 05:11 AM
Right now I put my 30 back up. I am trading a 125 to my daughter at Scott Air Force Base for her 75. I figure I will be back in the groove of things by spring, and will set up the 75 when I get from her. So, I just decided to set the 30 up until then. Right now it is empty except for water. I am doing this thing one step at a time to get it exactly how I want it. My agrcrete base rock (very nice looking and very porous) will go in as soon as it finishes curing. So my sand will go in next. Thats the project I'm working on now...finding sand!

hooker18
10/18/2004, 11:21 PM
ol'salty i am just about to break down a 38 that is full of pods and mini stars if you have not got your sand yet.. pm me and let me know.

sunamoon
10/19/2004, 09:36 AM
I used playsand from home depo. works great! just make sure it has no silica's in it!

ol'salty
10/19/2004, 10:14 AM
I have been looking for non-silica sand, but all I can find at our home depot is quick crete, and I'm sure it contains silica.

sunamoon
10/19/2004, 11:04 AM
check your local walmart for childrens play sand. most times they have it. but at this time of year they may not. childrens play sand should be silica free. try lowes, home depo,your local ace hardware. even tractor supply may have it.

sunamoon
10/19/2004, 11:05 AM
i ordered live sand from emerald bay to top off the play sand. i bought 15 lbs of direct ocean sand. worked out well for me for seeding.