PDA

View Full Version : Feathers

Ruu
10/12/2004, 10:31 PM
My tank has been up for a very little while now, and I am still clearly mid-cycle, but my live rock (or possibly some fine live sand that I put in last night) has suddenly brought forth life in the form of not one, but two new feather dusters. They seem to be doing fine, but do I need to feed these little dudes? I can rush out and get some DT tomorrow if necessary - I really want them to make it, since they are the first real life that has magically appeared in my tank. They have names now for goodness sake!

Dave

avshockey311
10/12/2004, 10:34 PM
Feather duster are a filter feeder. They are going to feed of anything in the tank. I had a few in my tank when I started it, never fed them and they are all still alive. Are you talking about full size feather dusters or just the little ones that appear out of your rock?

Ruu
10/12/2004, 10:52 PM
One is absolutely tiny - I only spotted it because I was watching so closely (I can't be the only one that sits there for hours - admit it), the other is less tiny, but hardly a full-size duster yet.

Dave

avshockey311
10/12/2004, 10:59 PM
I will be the first to admit to that. I still do it too, just sit there and scan the Live rock. I wouldnt worry to much about feeding them. You will see MANY more come and go through time. Neat little things though. I remeber the first one we saw in our tank, I was sitting there scanning the rock as usual and saw him and about had a heart attack acutual life in the tank that had just been sitting there for weeks with nothing. We named our first one too.

kaweahnet
10/12/2004, 11:03 PM
I sit for hours too ... watching algea grow :-)