PDA

View Full Version : UHMW Reef Safe?

weatherson
10/12/2004, 12:14 PM
Hi Randy,
I'm curious as to your thoughts regarding the use of UHMW plastic within a reef tank. I'm attempting to trouble shoot an issue of some Slow Tissue Narcosis on some SPS in my tank and thought I would look toward this plastic I use in my sinusoidal valve as a diverter drum. I did find a chemical content sheet HERE (http://www.sdplastics.com/uhmwchem.html) and hoped you could take a look. I know there are a few chemicals listed that don't look too friendly but wonder if they could even leech into the water. Thanks and regards,

Joseph

Habib
10/12/2004, 12:58 PM
That is fortunately not a chemical content chart but a chemical resistance chart. :)

UHMW stands for Ultra High Molecular Weight.

I don't think that much different catalysts are used to manufacture it compared to HD PE.

Since PE is hydrophobic, I doubt that catalysts would leach out in a significant quanity.

IMO the Tissue Ncrosis might have another cause.

Let's see what Randy has to say. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/12/2004, 02:35 PM
UHMW PE is perfectly fine for a reef tank, IMO. :)

weatherson
10/12/2004, 02:42 PM
Heh... Oops. Guess I should have read that better. ;) Thank you both for the input though. I'm trying to eliminate all the possible candidates and my next step is to see about having an analysis done on my water. The other possibilities are Phosban, of which I have discontinued its use, and the recent switch to Oceanic salt from IO. Thanks again.

Joseph

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/12/2004, 02:50 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)