PDA

View Full Version : Can you use silicone to glue corals?

robbergen
10/12/2004, 07:17 AM
I was thinking of using silicone to glue frags to rock. Would this work? I have used zip gel but I ran out and when I went to Home Depot, I couldn't find anything that seemed to be safe.

Obi-dad
10/12/2004, 07:38 AM
No, the silicone will release chemicals when curing. There are a couple of different types of silicone and they release different chemicals, one I think releases ammonia.

niko5
10/12/2004, 07:57 AM
Look at online hobby shops or local hobby shops you can get bit 2 or 3 oz containers of super glue gel i recently got 3 bottles and have glued SEVERAL things down and the 1st bottle doesent even look like I used any. by the way it has a name "CA" im not even going to attempt to spell it but it can also be called CA

MiddletonMark
10/12/2004, 08:16 AM
Yup, look for cyanoacrylate. Gel isn't so runny, but my Home Depot has a number of brands.

Silicone should not be put in the tank while curing ... so unless you have frags that can handle being in the air overnight, probably not a good idea. Too much nasties released during curing, while non-toxic after that.

Frick-n-Frags
10/12/2004, 08:25 AM
The two most common glues are the cryoanalate(ie superglue) already mentioned and two-part kneadable epoxy which will cure safely underwater. My HD has "Harvey's Plumber's Epoxy" $4 for 4oz tube. I think other HD's have Aquamend brand and LFS's have the $12 version of the same thing.

Obi-dad
10/12/2004, 08:52 AM
There is a thread here that talks about using both superglue and epoxy. I have only them separately (prefer gel superglue for small frags and epoxy for large objects), but from reading that thread I will be trying the combo, sounds great.

Frick-n-Frags
10/12/2004, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't ever be without both. I know gorgs are easiest for me with an epoxy holder, then supergluing the stick into the holder. Plus you can create nice flat mounting surfaces to superglue onto.

But I also am more epoxy for big stuff and SG for small frags.

Anemone
10/12/2004, 12:32 PM
As far as silicone goes, most require anywhere from 8- 24 hours before exposure to water... I don't think the coral would be very happy during that time. :D

Kevin

JENnKerry
10/12/2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
Yup, look for cyanoacrylate. Gel isn't so runny, but my Home Depot has a number of brands.

Just got some from Home Depot on Sunday and I must say it works great! I dont know how we got along for so long without it. I think it was like $1.50 or $2 or something. Much better than the epoxy IMO.