PDA

View Full Version : psychotic tang

Misfit6669
10/10/2004, 10:19 PM
My yellow tang started acting a little weird this morning and still is this evening. Never spotted him doing this before. He is rubbing against the side wall of the tank. He seems to be trying to harpoon his reflection with his spine/scalpel thingy. I thought I read somewhere that the fish can't see their reflection as much as it appears from the outside. Hopefully you know what I was trying to say in that last part, it's been a long weekend in a short amount of time.
Me again

sherm71tank
10/10/2004, 10:36 PM
How long have you had him? Perhaps there is a difference in lighting due to seasonal effects that you havent thought of ( reflection ) . I am sure that I've had fish go after their own reflection before.

aztecdreams
10/10/2004, 10:52 PM
hey brian y is it that all your tank inhabitants have mental probs? if they are not tryin to beat up their reflection they are obsessed with gettin freaky.

artful-dodger
10/10/2004, 11:05 PM
I don't know what specific fish are able to see, but the inside glass will provide a reflection. In a darkened room, look from the side of your tank straight through to the opposite side glass and you will see a reflection from the inside of the opposite side glass. There's no angled water-to-glass refraction...what you see is what you get. If that reflection makes it back to you, it had to pass through the water and would be visible from inside the tank as well.

I do recall having a male betta in a community tank years ago who would sometimes posture and display against the back glass that had a dark background behind it.

But then I do think this is probably just another sex-crazed resident of Brain's den of "Fin-iquity"...

dsandfort
10/10/2004, 11:12 PM
Try some Mortons.
D

reefnewbee
10/10/2004, 11:29 PM
Don't tangs tend to "rub" off parasities? Just a thought, not trying to bring a downer on...

Misfit6669
10/11/2004, 09:04 AM
sherm71tank - I have had him/her for at least 6 month, maybe closer to 9. The side he is freaking on, is next to a window, I will close the shade and see if there is any difference.

aztecdreams - You know how they say dogs/cats can take on their owners personalities. Hmmm, wonder if fish can do that also?

artful-dodger - not sure what your saying Gary, is my innocent yellow tang trying to get busy with his reflection, that grooooooss! THAT'S IT!!! No more Barry White, I am throwing it all away as soon as I get home.

dsandfort - with or without garlic?

reefnewbee - I have spotted my fish doing that when I had an Ick breakout when I first started. He doesn't seem to be rubbing against any of the rock, more like bumping his tail against his reflection.

Thanks guys
Brian

jdallred
10/11/2004, 12:42 PM
Brian, this is an easy fix.

Just stop doing that dance in front of the tank. :dance:

Misfit6669
10/11/2004, 02:52 PM
Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe.
The problem with dancing in front of my tank is I can see my reflection and it ain't perty. So that's not it, I swear.
:uzi: :dance:
The dancer in me died a long time ago.
Any other thoughts?
Brian

reefnewbee
10/11/2004, 03:16 PM
Sexual frustration onthe Tangs part?

Misfit6669
10/11/2004, 03:35 PM
If you're hinting that I need to help the Tang out Shawn, it ain't gonna happen!

Doing it to a mirror, YUK!
Maybe I should go buy the Nemo DVD and move the TV a little closer to the tank. That might help him out.

Misfit6669
10/11/2004, 05:43 PM
Ok guys, came home and the guy is making me a little nervous. He is going after his reflection more and more and not just in the corner. His spine thingy has changed a little. The white part seems to have pulled away somewhat and a clear barb is now showing. Brandi thinks it's sticking out farther then the white part ever did, I think the white part might just be pulled back a little, exposing the clear part more. The spines look the same on both side. He doesn't seem to be going after any of the fish.
Brian

reefnewbee
10/11/2004, 05:57 PM
What if you covered that particular glass with a flat colored piece oc paper? Would that possibly cut down on the reflection? Maybe even wax paper? Tryin to help Brian...

On the outside of course...hehe

Misfit6669
10/11/2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks Shawn, I have put some pillows against the glass to see what that does. I went ahead and posted to the general group, the little guy is working way too hard and seems very stressed.
Brian

guevono
10/11/2004, 07:38 PM
I have a hippo tang that does this also. He beats the glass with his tail when he sees his reflection. you can actually hear him hitting the tank. when my hands go in the tank he tries to hit me also.

I see him getting more aggressive when he doesnt have any caulerpa around to browse on. Do you regularly feed? I feed about 5 small feedings a day and have the chalupa so that he can browse on it when he likes.

good luck,
miguel

dsandfort
10/11/2004, 07:45 PM
How about some lettuce clips in the tank to distract him/give him something else to do? Load them up with a variety of eats.
D

Misfit6669
10/11/2004, 09:35 PM
I stuck some seaweed salad in last night, it was gone today by the time I got home. I just stuck in some Caulerpa, doesn't seem to interested in it so far. I only feed twice a day and do the clip thing 3 times a week or so. He just seems freaked about everything. I can't see him making it very long if he stays this amped. I will check my water tomorrow just to make sure something isn't way out of wack.
Thanks guys.
Brian

Misfit6669
10/13/2004, 10:44 AM
He/she is still acting somewhat wired.
No Ick breakout yet, but if he stays this stressed, it might be coming. Here is a pic of what his spine looks like.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/40521TangTail.jpg
Brian

artful-dodger
10/16/2004, 09:24 PM
So, Brain, what's the latest with Tang-enstein? Is he mellowing?

Misfit6669
10/16/2004, 11:24 PM
I have been super busy as of late so I haven't given the tank as much attention as I should. I am not sure if he is always psycho, he is still very skittish while I am around. He doesn’t seem to be chasing his reflection as much. I am going to hold off on any new tank mates for a bit, I think he would be very aggressive towards them. Thanks for checking up.
Brian