PDA

View Full Version : Marroon Pair Living Separately in Same Tank

mgillman
10/08/2004, 07:45 PM
I have a Female GSM - about 3 inches long - living in bubble tip anemone on one side of my tank. She's been there for about 9 months. I introduced a small GSM about 1 inch long almost 2 months ago. The female chased the baby for the first week or so - but never hurt it. She then investigated the baby curiously venturing to the other side of the tank to inspect him, without bothering him. The problem is that the baby hosts in a large toadstool sarcophyton coral on one side of the tank and the female hosts in the BTA on the other side of the tank. The don't both each other.

Will they eventually "move in" together? Will the baby ever change into a female because they haven't paired up more? Or will time eventually take care of everything?

The female doesn't venture over to see the baby anymore but she doesn't bother him either. When they feed, they are near each other but basically ignore one another.

Any help?

traveller7
10/08/2004, 10:46 PM
IME, you have a future showdown on the horizon.

Be prepared to separate, but I imagine you will have a successful pairing with some torn fins. The key question is: Has the little guy been submissive or not?

If it has, you have good odds, if the battle has not come, it could get ugly if the little one grows larger.

mgillman
10/09/2004, 09:10 AM
Yes, the little guy has been submissive when the female approaches. But what will cause them to get together? They live on opposites sides of "town" right now!

traveller7
10/09/2004, 09:17 AM
Give them time and as long as the little one continues to shake when the lady comes calling, you'll have decent odds of them getting along and pair bonding.

Cheers.

Kreeger1
10/09/2004, 09:24 AM
I'd watch the female she could end up picking the smaller one to death, I'd give it less than 50% chance for a pairing up if its been 2 months already and still getting chased away

mgillman
10/09/2004, 09:37 AM
I should clarify - the female rarely comes calling anymore. And the little guy doesn't seem interested in calling either. I'd classify it as "indifference" on both their parts. Hmmm. . . not interested in dating?

Kreeger1
10/09/2004, 09:38 AM
lol, if there not fighting who knows maybe someday huh