PDA

View Full Version : Fish are dying HELP!!!!!!!!!!

relish
10/07/2004, 06:58 PM
Everything was fine yesterday. When I came home from work today my diamond goby was dead, the strawberry basselet is missing and my maroon clown has a white film over its eyes and won't go near his anenome.
I have not done anything different recently (yesterday was just the normal feeding)
These are my levels this evening:

PH 8.0
Ammonia <.25 (not quite zero)
nitrites <.1 (not quite zero)
nitrates 5
calcium 600 (always this high)
Alkalinity 10.5 dKH
Salinity 1.026
temp 80

I am relatively new at this, but all of my corals look good and the yellow watchman and mandarin gobies I have look ok as well as my two green cromis.

Any clue what is going on? What is the white film on the clowns eyes? He won't even go near the anenome tonight?!?!? What can I do? i don't want to loose anything else.

3_high_low
10/07/2004, 09:10 PM
What a bummer. It sounds like maybe ammonia/nitrite poisoning. Are the fish breathing heavily? How old is your tank?

I think a water exchange is a good idea.

jdieck
10/07/2004, 09:12 PM
Any potential for chemical contamination? Sudden change in temperature? If no known cause, some profilactic measures will be add Activated Carbon and do a 25 to 30% water change.

relish
10/08/2004, 04:16 PM
My maroon looks a little better today. There's not as much of a white film over his eyes. He still won't go near the anemone though and he's just kind of hiding out under some coral.
I don't know of any chemical contamination that could have happened and there was no sudden temp. change. The tank is about 6 months old. Hopefully he will continue getting better.

mr_alberta
10/08/2004, 11:35 PM
What caused the ammonia spike? Perhaps something died (something you may not have even been aware of) and released something into the water?

jdieck
10/08/2004, 11:51 PM
Yes I woul also look into the Ammonia spike.

Putawaywet
10/09/2004, 12:52 AM
How are your corals and other inverts doing?

Any chance of a power outtage while you were out? Any digital clocks flashing or significantly off?

Brett

mygreengoldfish
10/09/2004, 01:05 AM
Maybe you should have a fish store check all of your water parameters with a precise test kit. At your calcium levels, alkalinity and ph, calcium should be precipitating out of the water like snow. To me it sounds like your test kits are at fault. Have you cleaned your filters lately? carbon can release toxic chemicals back into the water once it is saturated and built up debris in a mechanical filter creates ammonia. Either that or an unknown power outage or contaminant like stated by jdieck and Putawaywet.

relish
10/09/2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info. It's been a help. Everything else seems to be doing well. Some good news, the maroon looks much better (although still a bit skiddish about approaching the anemone) and the missing strawberry basselet has reappeared. I just saw it come out of the rocks after not seeing it since Wed. (it is Saturday evening)
We haven't had a power outage that I can tell. I think the ammonia spike may have been due to the dead diamond goby?? Like I said he seemed ok Wednesday evening, but I didn't see him dead until after I got home from work Thursday night. He could have been dead in there for awhile I guess. The maroon and his anemone were very near where the dead goby was. Could this have indirectly caused the mysterious eye film and strange behavior of the maroon?
Thanks for all of your help. I am going to see if the LFS will test my calcium... The test kit I'm using is Sea Test from the makers of instant ocean. I am using oceanic salt which I know is high in calcium. I was told that it was ok as long as the alkalinity is good??