PDA

View Full Version : Rocks from home

NewbieDeb
10/07/2004, 04:15 PM
I found a few BIG rocks in a pile we have leftover from creating our BBQ encloseure. Most are Limestone, there are a few that may be quartz. I know Lava Rock should be avoided, but what about these?

beerguy
10/07/2004, 04:16 PM
Maybe.

Consider what livestock, sand and live rock costs. Now consider whether you know where the rock came from and what it's been exposed to.

Is it worth the risk to you?

chrisd4421
10/07/2004, 04:20 PM
I have read a few posts....one just a minute ago...that warns against the use of Limestone.....as it will disentigrate rapidly in a marine aquarium and release carbonates into your water

Chris

JB Haner
10/07/2004, 04:24 PM
Limestone is a big no no.It can release carbonates into your water.Depending on what type of limestone it is,it can also deteriorate rapidly.I have used agates and picture sanstone in mine.I did however boil them in water for 2 hours.I know this (as stated above) will make some cringe,but if sterilized certain rock in one's back yard makes good base rock.

JB

JB Haner
10/07/2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the quote,chris!Ladies and gents,I am not a frequent poster here,but might I let all know that I teach earth sciences at our university where I live.I know my rocks and minerals.

I think,as with all things in this hobby,your better off going by the book unless your knowledgable in what your doing that deviates from the norms.

JB

beerguy
10/07/2004, 04:33 PM
Umm

live rock = calcium carbonate = limestone

Limestone is formed from calcareous sediment. Carbonates in the water is a good thing, and exactly what we're doing with a calcium reactor.

The real danger is that you don't know what else is in the rock; as I mentioned.

NewbieDeb
10/07/2004, 04:41 PM
Doug,
That was kinda what I was thinking about the limestone. Doesn't it act like a pH sabilizer or something. Shouldn't it only desinigrate if the pH is way off.... JUST LIKE ARAGONITE?
I know where the rock has been for the last 5 years. LOL
And I too, thought of boiling it forever!
They other 2 are smaller, and not limestone. They are a red color and NOT lava rock or volcanic type rock. However, I'm not a geologist... WAIT... I'll call my nephew! He IS a gelologist.
THANKS for all the help!

JB Haner
10/07/2004, 04:43 PM
Beerguy your right about the live rock,however most of the limestone in the US is fossil,live rock is not fossilized.As stated,depending on the type(there are several) some can be broken down to sand with vinegar. Limestone can release carbonates into the water,the calcium is to dense to do any good.

beerguy
10/07/2004, 05:32 PM
Randy doesn't agree with you.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=240353&highlight=limestone

Calcium carbonate is calcium carbonate. What you don't know is what else is in the rock.