PDA

View Full Version : How long do snails live?

Lessa
10/07/2004, 10:56 AM
I've had my snails for probably 9 months now. They're turban shaped and about 1 1/2 - 2" across. They're very good at turning themselves over, but I had one that fell on the sand and just stayed until I flipped him over. Now he's been hanging out on the glass at the top of the tank for 2 days. They usually hide during the day and come out when the bright lights go off. I just wonder if he's getting to the end of his life.

myakkareef
10/07/2004, 02:13 PM
I have snails that have been around many years...The worst for them is when they flip and can not get turned back over. Sounds like you have done good if you have them for 9 months, most people seem to kill them pretty quick. Amazingly snails must be acclimated very slowly to the tank. Very slow drip for hours is best...As long as he is still working that is good. sometimes the top ring around my tank gets algae build up due to my hood and my magnet not being able to get up close to the lip. Maybe he just found a good spot to eat from...Also I have heard of people acclimating snails by letting them grab on right on top at the top of the water level. Supposebly they acclimate themselves by mixing air and water, not the best way IMHO...

Toddrtrex
10/07/2004, 02:20 PM
I have had some for over 1.5 years. In fact yesterday morning they were spawning. About the 3rd time they have done it. Some of the offspring settled in the fuge part of my sump.

Lessa
10/07/2004, 02:26 PM
OK - hopefully it'll be fine and it's just acting weird. Thanks

fishinchick
10/07/2004, 03:04 PM
How long do snails live.....

Depends on if they are faster than the hermits :lol:

gqjeff
10/07/2004, 04:09 PM
I have had some turbos for 3-4 yrs... Hermits are there enemies for sure hahahah....

reverai
10/07/2004, 05:46 PM
Some snails in out tanks can live over 20 years accoring to the Boston Aquarium.....

Steve

spearfisher
10/07/2004, 09:38 PM
Snails need slow acclimation? That's news to me. The LFS putts hermits and snails in dry bags for transport and says to just throw them in.

reverai
10/07/2004, 09:45 PM
Yes, snails need a long acclimation . If you saw what's inside a snail, you'd understand why. Lots of plumbing that needs the right kind of pressure. They move slow for a reason so the pressure inside their bodies can equalize. Even the different levels of SG and PH that can be different from the water they come can cause problems as well of the some of the water flows though areas within the snail.

Steve

Toddrtrex
10/07/2004, 09:46 PM
spearfisher - Sounds like it is time to find a new LFS.

ChrisMiddleton
10/07/2004, 09:54 PM
Snails spawn? How can you tell if they are?

Scuba Dog
10/07/2004, 09:58 PM
I have an orange moon that made that is still alive after a little over a year, pretty good considering its a cold water species.....

spearfisher
10/07/2004, 10:16 PM
I guess that might explain why most all of the snails went straight for the top for quite some time.

Toddrtrex- Roger that on the new LFS, the problem is that there's slim pickin's in my area and the good ones in Detroit - Lansing are about 1.5-2 hours away.

Milhouse
10/08/2004, 01:11 AM
"spearfisher - Sounds like it is time to find a new LFS."

Hmmmm, that's odd. There are numerous REPUTABLE online livestock dealers who I have gotten snails from in a bag with nothing more than a wet paper towel. I don't think it's as uncommon as you think.

Toddrtrex
10/08/2004, 09:16 AM
ChrisMiddleton - [QUOTE]Snails spawn? How can you tell if they are?[QUOTE] - You see sprem and eggs coming out. Here is a blurry pic. - the camera was new at the time - hadn't figured out the macro button yet. http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/50613spawn.jpg

Milhouse - Odd - I have never seen that - but that would be better than just the bag - with nothing to keep them moist.

myakkareef
10/08/2004, 09:47 AM
Shipping with a wet towel is ok...but they will still require a long acclimation to your tank water...I used to be really good at killing them till I acclimated properly. Now I have not bought a snail for more then 3 years, because I acclimated properly and they do not die...