PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon FO help needed

alistairf
10/04/2004, 12:22 PM
I have been given a 55 gallon fresh water tank and I want to convert it to a salt water FO tank. There is no room for a sump or undertank wet/dry so could someone help me with information about filtration.
I am willing to add some LR but I realy want to have as much swimming room as possible.
I have posted this message here hoping to get some practical local help. When is the next club meeting?

nine9d
10/04/2004, 12:39 PM
alistairf,
Go visit our forums over at http://www.hvreef.org/yabb/. That is where most of us post and you will probably get a better response over there. You can also find out about meeting and such by visiting our site (http://www.hvreef.org/). I believe it is on the 23rd. Thanks.

seaham358
10/06/2004, 06:27 PM
With or Without a sump IMO you should get at least 55 lbs of LR for a good natural filtration with a HOB filter or Fluval canister. May be a combo filter skimmer HOB, if they make them??
About 55lbs of Sand.... Live sand or play sand. You have no room next to the tank? Why no room under what type of stand is it?
You may want to shop around for a stand where you can have a sump IMO this would be the best way to go.
I have around 60 lbs of LR in my 55 fowlr and ther is plenty of room.

seaham358
10/06/2004, 06:27 PM
xx

Tomzpc
10/07/2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by alistairf
I have been given a 55 gallon fresh water tank and I want to convert it to a salt water FO tank. There is no room for a sump or undertank wet/dry so could someone help me with information about filtration.
I am willing to add some LR but I realy want to have as much swimming room as possible.
I have posted this message here hoping to get some practical local help. When is the next club meeting?

Live rock, strong in-tank circulation via powerheads or a closed loop (better) and a Remora-"Pro" hang on skimmer. That combo would do you well.

skearse
10/07/2004, 12:14 PM
What types/numbers of fish are you thinking about keeping? The higher the bio-load the more efficient your filtration will need to be.

alistairf
10/13/2004, 02:01 PM
low bio-load, a few larger fish...the usual aggressive type.

Tomzpc
10/13/2004, 02:09 PM
A 55 may be too small for the kind of fish you are thinking about.

seaham358
10/14/2004, 07:22 AM
How about some names of the fish this will help out.

alistairf
11/02/2004, 08:20 PM
I haven't got as far as a stock list yet. I was thinking of a dwarf angel as my center piece. Maybe you could suggest fish.

What do you think about a small refugium on a FOWLR?

greenman
11/20/2004, 10:46 PM
I would use the the equ you have for the fresh water just take out any media add some south down sand and a few peaces of live rock.
Make sure you have good water movement and do water changes...
Last get a new bulbs for your hood so the colors come out in the fish. ...

You can also clean out all the fresh water stuff with bleach and use a dechlorinator from the lfs when you rinse it off....

alistairf
11/29/2004, 02:44 PM
Tank is up and running with Clown and Blue Damsel. The question is what other fish?

seaham358
11/30/2004, 10:49 AM
All depends on what your looking for??? Check out some places on the net that sell fish to get a idea. saltwaterfish
Blue Damsels can be nasty so keep a eye on him.
what type clown.
Do you have a fish book? I have the marine fishes book and it is great for fish ID.

alistairf
11/30/2004, 10:09 PM
The Damsel is peaceable at the moment but I do realize that could change. I have had a rough time keeping anything alive.I lost a couple of cheap damsels but now I just bought a kole tang and it's not looking good.I'm going to get my water checked at a LFS in the next few days.

masterswimmer
12/14/2004, 09:08 AM
How long and how did you cycle your tank?

Damsels are pretty hearty. To lose them sounds like your cycle might not have been complete.

Russ

alistairf
12/14/2004, 11:52 AM
Damsels are okay, but Kole didn't make it.

masterswimmer
12/14/2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by alistairf
I have had a rough time keeping anything alive.I lost a couple of cheap damsels but now I just bought a kole tang and it's not looking good.

Your damsels are ok?

seaham358
12/15/2004, 10:49 AM
How do you acclimate your fish?

alistairf
12/21/2004, 08:46 AM
Acclimatize the standard way... bag in tank..... add cup of water....add another cup .......
Things seems to have turned around, for the good. Two damsels, Rabbit Fish, and Royal Grammi are all doing well. After Christmas it may be time for a Flame Angel or coral Beauty.