PDA

View Full Version : ID of plant growth on sand bed please

Ramble On Rose
10/04/2004, 11:18 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/61773P9260255small.jpg

Anyone know what this is? I have 3 little patches of this on my sandbed and didnt know if it was a good or bad sign. I recently (about a month ago) added a fuge with some cheato in there. Dont know if that is realted. Thanks.

Ramble On Rose
10/04/2004, 02:20 PM
anyone know what this thing is?

xcreonx
10/04/2004, 03:00 PM
if you havent already, post it in the macroalgae forum.. those guys will have an answer :)

gobygoby
10/04/2004, 03:06 PM
That is Bryopsis algae, Very Very bad stuff, will grow and grow and grow and grow.....

get it out of there ASAP!!!!!

YOU DO NOT WANT THIS!!

I repeat destroy destroy!!!!!

Goby

a.fool.for.fish.
10/04/2004, 03:09 PM
i think it looks pretty cool.

Ramble On Rose
10/04/2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by gobygoby
That is Bryopsis algae, Very Very bad stuff, will grow and grow and grow and grow.....

get it out of there ASAP!!!!!

YOU DO NOT WANT THIS!!

I repeat destroy destroy!!!!!

Goby

uh oh!!! It did spring up very quickly to its current size. all 3 patches of it came up pretty much overnight. any ideas what it is from? i havent added anything new to the display tank that would make me think that it was a hitchhiker. I did recently add a fuge like i said. can i just pull it out with some grabbers? does it have any positive affects? should i throw it in the fuge?

fishinchick
10/04/2004, 03:53 PM
bryopsis is not good and if I were you I wouldnt 'grab' it out of the sand at all. Carefully siphon off that area of sand and make sure you get it all.
Dont put it in your refugium. Throw it away!!

gobygoby
10/04/2004, 04:58 PM
You could just grab it and pull it out if you want. you will need something to eat it, such as a lettuce nudibranch if you want to completely get rid of it. This has absolutley no benefits except that it grows over everything,.will smother corals. it probably came in on something as a spore. They grow very rapidly. do not put this in a fuge either!

trust me this is bad stuff!

Goby

Ramble On Rose
10/04/2004, 05:26 PM
well i took the pictures i posted a week ago or so and kind of forgot about these guys. i looked just now when i got home and there are no longer 3 little patches, but about 10-15 total. most of the other ones are much smaller then the one posted (which about an inch diameter). so i should be able to suck them up. im thinking about getting a nudibranch, but i need to look into them more. thanks for the help.