PDA

View Full Version : New LR Is this normal???

RColbath
10/02/2004, 12:55 AM
I got my LR on tue. and I've got a brownish green algee that seems to be taking over. it looks like hair and dust kind of .Is this going to hurt my LR or is it normal.Thanks, Rory

tanker
10/02/2004, 12:59 AM
Normal. Part of cycle. Be patient now--the hardest part.

tanker
10/02/2004, 01:00 AM
PS

[welcome]

RColbath
10/02/2004, 01:18 AM
Thanks Tanker, I thought it might be but then It seemed to take over and was worried I was doing something wrong. I will try to add Pic. I did get them to my gallery. Well can't add Pic. here wrong ext. Rory

jdieck
10/02/2004, 01:30 AM
Just be sure that you have very high flow to keep the debris in suspension so your skimmer becomes more effective.

RColbath
10/02/2004, 01:49 AM
Thanks Jdieck. I have two PH on the bottom 1 600gph, and 1 800gph and the tank is drilled with 2 returns at the top in my sump I have a 1200gph pump I hope thats enough. I Think I have good flow I have the 2 PHs bounceing off the side glass at a slight upward angle. I do see a lot of debris at times. Its like the rock spits in the tank every now and then.

jdieck
10/02/2004, 01:58 AM
Seems like a very good flow. Just notice that there will always be pores or holes that accumulate dirt despite the high flow. I used to grab a powerhead with a short piece of hose attached and blow off additional debries from the rock pores once a day. This really keeps it clean specially blows away the whitish slime of decaying mater on the rock surfaces and holes plus removes any possible sand and sediment accumulated is such holes increasing the aereation troughout the rock. Try it you will see how much stuff is trapped in there.

dlancz
10/02/2004, 02:01 AM
What kind of light do you have, and how long is it on for? Lights don't need to be on for more than a couple of hours a day before you stock your tank. Just enough to keep what ever photosynthetic creatures on your rocks alive!

RColbath
10/02/2004, 02:18 AM
Thats a good idea. I'll try that tomorrow I have noticed a lot of stuff in the little holes didn't know what to do about it. About the lights.Currently I'm just using the strip lights that came with the tank with 4 30 w Flo. I was keeping them on for 10 hrs. a day. I am getting the lunar light from Coralife with 4 96w comp. Flo. 2 10000k and 2 true actinic with 4 3/4 w moon glow. Should I not keep the light on as much?

RColbath
10/02/2004, 02:27 AM
With this LR( 220lbs) I had 1 good size Feather duster and a lot of smaller ones. also an urchant and 5 or 6 bristle stars little crabs tiny shrimp and no telling what else. I thought they needed the light on also thats why I ordered the new light.