PDA

View Full Version : Live rock

kurtanderson2
10/01/2004, 10:24 AM
What qualities are looked for when purchasing live rock? What are some good suppliers?
Thanks
KA

Vincerama2
10/01/2004, 12:39 PM
I used about 2lbs/gallon. But it all depends on the type of rock as some is denser than others.

I bought mine from DrMac Corals (Check the sponsor page). It was very nice and at the time when he was a small shop, he hand picked it for me. Shipping is always a killer though, so LFS might have a decent price.

I gathered up some rock making stuff, since I moved to a larger tank which is lacking lots of LR.

Sorry I can't just give you a list of good suppliers, you gotta search the forum and decide for yourself. Some people like the aquacultured rock from Gulf rocks or Tampa Bay Saltwater. If you want some cheaper base rock, hirocks.com has some, which you can seed with smaller amounts of more expensive actual LR.

Plus it really depends on what you like. All I can tell you is that I like the Kaelini rock I got from Dr. Mac. It's branchy and interesting, not just a lump of rock.

V

SDRotary619
10/01/2004, 01:14 PM
Dr Mac, Reefermadness.us, have good rock at good prices. I have seen an influx of haitian live rock that maybe I never noticed before that has lots of ledges and folds it looks really nice and is priced well.

kurtanderson2
10/01/2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the help!