PDA

View Full Version : DIY Cooling Fan

johnehr
09/30/2004, 11:29 PM
Does anyone have experience making their own cooling fan setup (the VDC 12 volt adapter with the 4" fans)? Anyone have any tips, hints, or vendor suggestions?

killercoral
10/01/2004, 01:04 AM
yes actually I do. I got 4 of these 12 volt fans from allectronics.com they are absolutely amazing. I think they were five bucks each and six for shipping. I had a 12 volt power supply that I had at the house to hook them up. They are the 12 volt high velocity fans. I have to warn you though they are pretty noisy but put out an amazing amount of air for such small fans. 130 CFM each I think. I also ordered a seperate fan controller so that I can turn the fans down when I am trying to watch tv. Hopes this helps!!!

sean

garrett gales
10/01/2004, 02:10 AM
I also got a four computer box fans and didnt know about 120 or 12 volt stuff until i got it and looked into it a bit more. When they were bought, I was looking for the cheapest and the quietest. I got the powermax 120mm 12volt for $5 each. they only move 54cfm but are only 27dba. That was as quiet as i could find and now i run all four (with a radioshack 1500 ma adapter for $20). A little more work wiring all four fans to one adapter, but they all work great and i can't hear anything but the gurgling of the overflow haha. Just get them quiet!

Oh, as you can see, i run 2 175 MH and the fans keep my tank at 79 all day with covers over the top.