PDA

View Full Version : Live sand and live rock in NYC, LI or NJ?

rwsoos
09/28/2004, 08:10 PM
Looking for recommendations for purchase of live sand and then live rock in NYC metropolitan area (Staten Island), Long Island or New Jersey? Also, I've searched forums looking for any Southdown now Tropical Play Sand in this area with no success. Returning to hobby after 2 year absence. Any help? Thanks.

Melbourne
09/28/2004, 08:40 PM
Hi,

If your willing to drive a bit, I found Southdown at the Wappinger Falls, HD. They had a few pallets last time I was there but that was at least two months ago. Live rock you'll need to go mail-order unless you find someone breaking down their tank. Live sand to seed the Southdown, from a local reefer. Check out www.manhattanreefs.com people there can help you out.

-Mike

mountainmermaid
09/29/2004, 07:32 PM
I got my beautiful Fiji & Tonga LR at Aquatic Visions (formerly Hanover Pets) on Rt. 10 in East Hanover in Jersey. It was worth the drive. Beautiful stuff. I have a little over 55 lbs. in my 37 gallon reef.

pennrj430
09/29/2004, 08:04 PM
Hi rwsoos, I live on Long Island, and I found Southdown this summer at Home Depot in East Medow, the one in Jericho also has southdown. Toys R' Us had Southdown this summer in the Carl Place location. There are a few good LFS stores that have live rock, my favorite is Aquarium Adventure in Carl Place, huge selection with a lot of coriline on it, but it's pricy. If you're not in a rush, get it online..