PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Osmosis?

reeflover159
09/25/2004, 08:49 PM
hi i have a couple of quation about Reverse Osmosis. i am have problems with my Goniopora and sponge r not doing to well. the Goniopora is not coming out of the skelton like it used to and the sponge is dieing because it's getting white and falling apart. so i have been try everything i can thing of, feed more dt plantion with a syring everyday 8 ml to each one, moved them into high water flow, a lot of light, and nothing. i know they r hard by they were both doing so well and not one of my other corals is doing bad. so to day i saw a guys tank were he had huge Gonioporas and they looked great. i ask him about his tank and what he does. the biggest thing he did so different was use reverse osmosis. i have head about this things about using reverse osmosis to make your water pure but is it worth. i want to know how it works and how to use one and what kind to get.

maxpower39
09/25/2004, 08:58 PM
ro is purified water. tap has bad stuff in it. people should stay away from tap as well but i probally care more about my reef then myself. anyway a good kent ro/di unit runs like 200$ and the membranes depending on your water quality need to be replaced at least once a year at about 150$ ....or distilled is about 50 cents a gallon at sams club. if you don't make your own water you don't know it's quality without doing some basic tests....

Dz99ls
09/25/2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by maxpower39
the membranes depending on your water quality need to be replaced at least once a year at about 150$

this is not correct the ro membrane itselt will last something like 5yrs the pre filters need changing every 6-8 months these are usually very cheap. as for the unit itself we go you dont have to go name brand we got an aquasafe canada 100gpd unit from ebay cheap best investment ever