PDA

View Full Version : I caught the Mantis Shrimp!!!

NHMarine
09/20/2004, 12:14 PM
Well I finally caught my Mantis Shrimp............He came with the L/R when I started up my tank 6 months ago.
I heard the metallic clicking sound coming from the tank one day, a few weeks later I spotted him, he was about a quarter of an inch long, peering out at me with his big eyes.
Now I must say I was a little on the lazy side to spend all this time to try and trap him, but in the end it was my girlfriend who started to do some reading about the Mantis shrimp (I had already known) about how bad they can be. He was just so small I figured I would catch him later................ya six months later!!........So this past Sunday I made a promise "I will catch this Mantis Shrimp" ......So I sat in front of the tank for an hour until I sae him go into a small PC of L/R, I quickly reached in and snagged the rock.......ran over to the kitchen put the rock in a bowl and squirted some hot water in one of the holes......Out flew the Mantis..............ARGGGGHHHH..MANTIS everyone run!!!............Lol.............now she has despised this mantis so here I am ready to dispose of it and she says I wanna keep it now that he is not a danger to the display tank, so I set up a 2.5 gallon tank. I must admit it is cool.
Now I must have been lucky with this Mantis I have a 75 gal. With a decent size cleanup crew and I never lost a snail or hermit crab!!!...Thus my lax on getting him out sooner (I was real lucky)
Thought you guys would get a kick out of it.
PS he is now just over one inch long now!!!.His name?....Manny Mantis.GO SOX!!!;)

Rikko
09/20/2004, 07:52 PM
Nice work - now you get to hang out in the stomatopod forum, too. :D

FalsePerc
09/20/2004, 07:58 PM
Good job catching him. Keep us updated.