PDA

View Full Version : Marine Breeding Experts as speakers?

GregDoug
09/16/2004, 01:34 PM
Our local reef club in Cincinnati is thinking about bringing in a speaker(s) over the next year and I wanted to ask, has anyone else had any experience with guest speakers in their local clubs? One interest that several of us have is bringing in someone who has a reputation in breeding saltwater fish (such as Joyce or Moe) but I know there are many other well accomplished people around including several on this board (Jhardman, Frank, ect). I get the impression that guest speakers mostly come to speak so they can sell their books and such so perhaps we should look at published authors?
Another problem that we have is that we are a small club and cant 'pay' for the speaker to come (we would cover airfare and hotel). So, does anyone have experience booking guest speakers for their clubs and if so, how did it work? If you feel more comfortable not posting in this thread, please just send me a PM.

FMarini
09/16/2004, 02:54 PM
hey guys-
there is a whole laundry list of "experts" that speak on various fish breeding topics. Infact IMAC 2004 topic was captive breedin, so they had a bunh of "experts". Martin Moe being literally the grandfather of this topic still travels to speak. Joyce wilkerson, frank hoff,randy reed, etc all seem to appear at conferences. Thats said, there must be local guys that have some experience in these matters. These would be good first starts. Bring in the curator at your local public aquarium, or from an establiosh LFS that is breeding fish.
AS for bringing in a speaker, yes you usually have to spring for airfare, lodging and food., some places offer honorariums, a nice perk, and most hobby societies when bringing in a guest speaker will surround the event w/ a "conference" and charge moneys to offset their costs.
Actually most hobbist guest speakers speak to meet other hobbists and spread the word, only a few hobbyists have books, however be aware that more travelled speakers often times do a better job at talking/entertaining and present great talks
Just a few thoughts
frank

NicoleC
09/16/2004, 03:10 PM
I suggest you make a list of the speakers you'd like to have, then contact them and ask them what their requirements are. If money is tight, potential speakers who are close to you might still be financially feasible because of the reduced travel costs, even if they require a speaking fee.

Good luck.

GregDoug
09/16/2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback

shred5
09/17/2004, 11:22 AM
Yea pretty much what Frank says.. Our club brings two speakers in a year... We use the money from raffles and dues to pay for them... We promote the speakers to lfs and any non member pays a fee to see the speaker...

Martin Moe is a great speaker and a great guy... That is the only speaker on franks list that i have ever seen speak...

Dave

ediaz
09/17/2004, 08:18 PM
Try Todd Gardner, he is one of the best non clownfish breeder there are, he tough me, and he is a very good speaker. If somebody knows anything about Joyce, Please let me know.

Edgar

GregDoug
09/17/2004, 08:30 PM
LOL... I knew Todd when he was just a student in NY. Is he breeding seahorses now on a commercial scale?

ediaz
09/17/2004, 08:35 PM
No, he is at a research level, not comercial. He is a very good speaker and knows as much as me LOL, about raising dottybacks, comets, gobies and grammas.