PDA

View Full Version : stupid questions

Glenn UK
09/15/2004, 12:26 PM
I love these posts they go something like this:

I have been keeping a reef for x years, read loads of books, know the keeper of the biggest system in the world, and im on the way to a reefkeeping doctorate.

Now my question is do i really need salt in a reef? (or replace with similar stupid question).

Sorry but i cannot work out if a person is as well read and experienced as they often state why they are asking basic info like should i keep a tang in a 55g.

Get real mate the answer is no and if you need to ask then you should take it as read that the answer is no!!

JMHO

Sorry if this offends anyone but hey if the cap fits wear it!!

GLenn

AL ur Pal
09/15/2004, 03:51 PM
Did you have question?

Toddrtrex
09/15/2004, 03:57 PM
I don't think he does, just responing here to another thread wierd huh?

reefkeeper02
09/15/2004, 04:10 PM
BTW, my LFW says I can use regular table salt, anybody else do this?

saltaholic
09/15/2004, 04:17 PM
I havent been using any salt:(

Trying to figure out what this thread is about:confused:

vermonter310
09/15/2004, 06:15 PM
LMAO........I think Glenn needs a drink.

Northside Reef
09/15/2004, 06:45 PM
well at least we know Glenn did not go home and kick his dog tonight...

somewhere some dog is thanking RC for allowing certain people to blow off steam elsewhere.

Sorry if this offends anyone but hey if the cap fits wear it!!

Glenn UK
09/16/2004, 03:56 AM
Sorry guys its obviousley posted on the wrong forum, american and english humour dont mix i guess.

Am i alone in wondering why some people, aledgedly experienced, insist on posting stupid questions?

If your are newbie then that is your role in life to ask those questions, but if i told you i had a huge amount of experience and then asked a stupid question wouldnt you think i was stupid?

Thats what the post is about.HTH
but i doubt it!

Glenn

vermonter310
09/16/2004, 07:58 AM
Over here we have a saying,
"the only stupid question is the one you don't ask."
Just because someone's experienced in one facet of this hobby doesn't mean they should already know everything about everything else. sometimes's it's the simplest things that you can't find an answer to because everybody thinks everyone else already knows or should know.
Try not to let the questions you think are simple bother you just because you think everyone should already know "that".
People only know what they know.

Mike

Glenn UK
09/16/2004, 08:09 AM
I think thats a fair point, i often ask stupid questions, the ones that others wont ask simply because their afraid of what others might think.

The point that irks me is people who state their lengthy experience and ask a question, quite often repeatedly in different forums, and after stating they have researched the issue.

As an example, can i keep a tang in an xxx gallon tank?

How long do you think you need to be in the hobby to understand the kind of issues surrounding this type of question?

If its my first tank and ive just returned from my lfs i think its fair to ask, otherwise?

If you were asking about a fish never before kept in a tank then fine, but tangs, sharks etc?

Hmm personally i think if you want to claim to be epxeirenced in one breath and then ask quesiotns like this it makes me wonder whether the individual should be keeping a reef.

JMHO

Glenn

superseawave
09/16/2004, 08:19 AM
I agree that someone should not claim to be experienced when clearly they are not, but maybe they've read so much on one particular subject that they've overlooked the minor details, it happens.

sometimes a person will play dumb just to test what the other person knows which is a bit lame.

FCM
09/16/2004, 08:48 AM
I think it's pretty clear that most of the "Can I keep a tang.......?" type questions are from people who have read they shouldn't, have been told they shouldn't, but really, really want one and are looking for some other "experienced" people to justify their purchase and tell them it's okay. Sort of a misery loves company thing.

The question appears stupid coming from someone who's done their research- they ask because they didn't like what they read!

Saltz Creep
09/16/2004, 09:06 AM
Yeah. I get that all the time. People ask a stupid question to which they themselves already know the general answer, but they are hoping ANYONE will give them the opposite answer so that they can justify carrying out their plan no matter how idiotic it may be.

^ Wow. What a long sentence.

vermonter310
09/16/2004, 03:57 PM
Glenn, I Agree. Saltz Creep seems to have stated it best.

Doug/Shirley
09/16/2004, 04:38 PM
Gee I've had a tang in a 55 for almost four years. Its doing quite well I only need to adjust the water level as it grows!

tangerine
09/16/2004, 09:03 PM
i agree with what salt creep stated.

doug/shirley hahahaha...