PDA

View Full Version : Hippo Tang died, your diagnosis..

brads_reef
09/15/2004, 09:16 AM
I had a hippo tang that I found dead yesterday. He had some "ridges" that began at the pectoral fins down to the anal fins. I noticed it 3 nights ago. I feed algae, flake food, and live food (or a combination of) twice a day. ANyone seen this before? Water parameters are tip-top..

Jeremy Blaze
09/15/2004, 09:36 AM
Yellow tang+ additional blue tang+65 gallon=Death.

speccialj922
09/15/2004, 09:47 AM
dittooooooooooo

joeychitwood
09/15/2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
Yellow tang+ additional blue tang+65 gallon=Death. I don't agree. Before I became aware of the "political incorrectness" of keeping tangs in smaller tanks, I kept a fat, healthy Yellow Tang and a beautiful healthy Purple Tang in a 55 gallon show tank for 6 years. I gave the tangs away when I went to a reef setup.

Whisperer
09/15/2004, 10:09 AM
I concur with joey. While it is desirable to have a larger tank for all inhabitants (not only tangs), a smaller tank does not mean certain death (=). I am not, in any way, advocating use of small tanks for tangs but I also disagree with the equation/statement. It does not provide solid evidence in the death of the tang. JME.

69vette
09/15/2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
Yellow tang+ additional blue tang+65 gallon=Death.

This is just your typical response.

Brads_reef, some more info would help.

sesegal99
09/15/2004, 10:15 AM
I have a yellow, a blue and a purple. no probs. Granted they are in a 150. Maybe somthin else, maybe not.

joeychitwood
09/15/2004, 10:19 AM
Not to turn this into another endless "Tang Nazi" thread, but I've never understood the anti-tang people.

How is it bad if I have a thriving, fat, healthy tang (or two) living unharrassed, without HLLE or other disease, with an endless supply of nutritous food in a stable environment? Do they suffer some sort of psychological disorder?

69vette
09/15/2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by joeychitwood
How is it bad if I have a thriving, fat, healthy tang (or two) living unharrassed, without HLLE or other disease, with an endless supply of nutritous food in a stable environment? Do they suffer some sort of psychological disorder?

It's not bad, but these people just need something to b*tch about. It must make them feel better about themselves.

brads_reef
09/15/2004, 11:01 AM
I need to update my profile...lol. I had 2 blue tangs and 1 clownfish. No Yellow Tang anymore. I understand 65 gallons is somewhat small for them, but they complimented each other so well and never had any problems out of any of them. I am also building up a 125 gal setup, so it was not going to be a permanent home for them anyways. I believe that if each fish can find its niche in the aquarium social structure, you will have few problems with keeping multiple ones, just keep a high water quality. My tank is (was..tearing down, getting ready for the transfer) full of Live rock, finger corals, etc. They each found a little home and never harassed each other over turf.. I believe this problem is a little deeper than that, like nutrition, or something they were lacking that i wasnt providing. Thanks for the feedback..

Jeremy Blaze
09/15/2004, 11:18 AM
I apologize for being qoute "b***hy" It is just that I see this type of post, or hear this same question sooo much. And a common denominator is a small tank. There will always be exceptions to the 'rule'. I know there have been tangs kept in small tanks with no problems, but long term, remember we are talking about fish that live 10-15-20 years in the wild, a small tank will likely cause problems. As far as each fish having its own niche, tangs are not reef fish, per say, they swim over large areas and have an unlimited territory, for several to have their own niche in a 125 is unlikely.

I am sorry if this has not helped you find the 'problem' to why your fish died, I hope you at least consider mine, and the 'Tang Police' arguments as to why these fish need huge areas.