PDA

View Full Version : Pipefish

zaslax
09/14/2004, 08:41 PM
Hey all! Where can I get pipefish in VA/MD/DC area. I really would like to keep pipefish with maybe a kuda pair so I was wondering I could get them. I am looking at dragonface, banded, many banded, and alligator and also where can i get a kuda pair or just two i guess. Thanks. Siders

zaslax
09/15/2004, 04:19 PM
Ok forget it. After reading here I guess pipefish aren't the way to go (Even though the do eat live food and copepods just like a madarin) OH well. I give up there seems to be no one who sells pipefish anywhere.

Thunnus
09/16/2004, 04:21 PM
Check Marine Depot. They will probably have what you are looking for.

cephalopoder
09/16/2004, 08:32 PM
Live aquaria had dragen pipes on sale last week for 9.99

zaslax
09/17/2004, 01:50 PM
thanks!

mendelec
09/18/2004, 08:12 PM
Exotic aquatics in B'more has them periodically.

If you're going to try it, be certain you extensively QT (think 6 weeks) and prophylactically treat 'em with whatever you can get your hands on. It's important to keep in mind it is extremely difficult to spot ailments in pipefish, even if you are intimately familiar with them. Anything they're carrying is infinitely transferable to your seahorses. Lost essentially all my horses not long ago for not following that advice carefully enough. Hard lesson learned.

Another thought to ponder is that lots of folks consider mixing WC with CB to be inherently hazardous, as CB's immune systems just have never seen the various baddies out there in the real world. Pipes are invariably WC.

Yet, another thought to ponder is to be certain you're prepared to keep them fed in QT for that time (and thereafter). They won't have any wildlife to subsist on while you desperately hope to find something to feed them. Research and prepare ahead of time.

Elliot

zaslax
09/19/2004, 09:42 AM
thanks