PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a sump to have a successful tank?

cdickinson
09/13/2004, 11:49 PM
Will a skimmer do with live rock and live sand.
I am looking at the AquaC Remora wMaxi Jet1200.

Entropy
09/13/2004, 11:51 PM
Sump is not needed to have a nice tank. There were really nice reef tanks long before skimmers, live rock, or a sump. It just makes everything a lot easier. You have a place to hide everything, it adds volume to the system (more water is always better IMO), and there is more room in the tank itself, because all of the equipment is in the sump. You can definately do it without one though.

alkataz
09/14/2004, 03:02 PM
No you don't need one it's just a little easier if you do. But know if you have good tank maintanence habits and you don't mind seeing things like heaters and skimmers hanging inside or on the back of your tank its fine.

Mariner
09/14/2004, 03:08 PM
No, it's impossible!!!!
:D J/K :lol:
Here's a link to pic of my sumpless reef (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/stevexpnt/75rthi.jpg)
FWIW,
Mariner

Dave A
09/14/2004, 03:20 PM
Not required but recommended. If you don't add a sump now you probably will eventually.

Dave

olemos
09/14/2004, 03:33 PM
check this one
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=434616

Scuba Dog
09/14/2004, 03:34 PM
nope but it will sure help.............................

mthedude
09/14/2004, 03:35 PM
I agree, I wish someone would have sat me down and explained all this to me when I just had a sw fish tank. You'll probably be fine w/out one until you realize how much extra time it takes without, then you'll probably buy some equipment you think you need only to find out that what you really wanted was expensive but only a few bucks more than you spent originally. This is my experience in a nutshell anyway. Best thing to do is figure out what you really want out of your experience. For me it's less maintenance time and minimal time spent "messing with stuff", but to each his own.

JENnKerry
09/14/2004, 06:08 PM
No you do not need a sump to have a successful tank. I dont have one on my 55 nor will I have one on my 125 when it gets set up. Sure there are many benefits from having a sump, one of the biggest is more stability and a nice place to put your equipment. It doesn't bother me to look in my tank and see powerheads and filter and skimmer tubes because when I look in my tank, I'm drawn into the beauty my corals and fish bring I dont see these other things.

CaliforniaDreamer
09/14/2004, 06:28 PM
One other good thing/problem with a sump is the level of your tank never changes. I think this is great but it does mean that you must have some method of auto top-off or check the sump regularly cuz it could run dry.

Scuba Dog
09/14/2004, 06:42 PM
Well I love my sump even though its a little tiny cranped thing...but when i start on my 450 gallon reef, ill have at least a 200 gallon sump on it....the extra water volume can do so much more for a tank....

aquaman67
09/14/2004, 07:36 PM
I don't have a sump and use the Remora with the MJ 1200 and would recommend that setup.