PDA

View Full Version : Algae bloom?

AP7x
09/12/2004, 06:55 PM
Hello

I have a 125g in my living room...we put in LR about 3-4 weeks ago. The LR was pre-cured Marshall Island + Fiji from PA.com, then another batch of Fiji LR from RM.

The first week came out with ammonia present, but not too much. I didnt bother testing again until yesterday, which came out with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

Does this mean the cycle itself is done (ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate)?

But I read I shouldve had some blooms (diatom...algae...anything) but I havent had any of that sort. Sand is still clean..(except some debris i need to vacuum up) and rocks are...turning white due to coralline dieoff. Otherwise...nothing new.

No water changes were ever done yet...just top off.

Lights on 8 hrs or so a day. But they are just regular lights that came with the tank (MH/VHO will come a month or so later when the first wave of debts are paid off from this tank =P)

I was plannin to add the cleanup crew after the parameters looked OK to deal with what I thought would be mass algae or something..
BUt theres nothing there.
So - will a bloom come any day now or what...?

Also - are there any reef fish that dont require the reef part yet (sounds contradictory =P) that I could add that would enjoy being only with rocks in two weeks or so? Corals will come in a month or so with the lights...

Thx

superswimmer
09/12/2004, 07:20 PM
Hmm... sounds good. I added fish very quickly cause i was impatient, but with no source of "food" for the diatoms you prob wont experience the christaning bloom of brown alage. You should be able to add 1 or 2 fish. dont get damsels, they get mean and are impossible to catch. You should be okay with some percula clowns, royal gramma

AP7x
09/13/2004, 02:30 PM
ANy other fish that doesnt need an established system to do well?

ROyal Gamma was actually one of the fish on my list =D