PDA

View Full Version : How do you catch a scooter blenny?

ToadFish
10/28/2001, 11:43 AM
Scooter Blenny

What is the best way to catch a scooter without completely destroying your reef? This guy is lightning quick and I think it knows something about it's future! Cool fish but I have a feeling that it is competing with my mandarins for food. Do they eat the same things?
Please enlighten me...
Ben

Green Mariner
10/28/2001, 11:55 AM
Yes Ben their diet is the same. My dragonette buries itself in the sand at night with only it's eyes sticking out of the sand, that would probably be a good time to try and catch it if yours does the same.

HTH

tomatoeclown
10/28/2001, 11:55 AM
how established is youre tank, mandarins need a well established tank, like a 1.5-2 year tank, food selection wise can't help you there I was never a scooter bleny or mandarin:D :D

ReefAnon
10/28/2001, 12:19 PM
Agree - the scooter will compete with the Mandarin. Getting them out will be tricky. If they have a fav food its easer.

This is my (not my idea) preferred method:

1] Get a plastic container with a hinged lid - e.g a "critter keeper". Attach some thread to the lid.

2] Attach a small piece of rock/milliput to the lid to help it close quickly. Put some sand in the container to weigh it down.

3] Put in tank and secure thread to hold lid open. Leave for a day or two so the fish get used to it. Bait the container with small amounts of the victims fav food. Release the thread when the fish swims in.

I like the fact that the fish never leaves the water and there's no risk of fins etc getting damaged on a net.

My mandarin swam in (and out) while I was after a diff fish. Does need a lot of patience though...