PDA

View Full Version : Will MH cook my tank?

Subrafta
09/11/2004, 04:19 PM
I'd like to use metal halide to light my tank, using a single 250W or 150 W DE HQI, possibly with atinics. I'm afraid I'll add too much heat or have to use a chiller, because the tank has to be covered and I can't use a canopy or pendant.

The tank is an Oceanic 37 (24.5L x 18.5W x 21.5H). Basically a wide "cube".

It must be covered with glass because I've got a three year old who has already "helped" feed my freshwater tank. No pendants -- the tank is in the living room and pendants blow the Wife Acceptance Factor. And MH canopy just wouldn't look right on this tank.

Do I have any chance of pulling this off without a chiller? Room temperature is usually 68 - 72F.

Coralife has the option of adding "legs" to their MH + PC lights which raises the light a few inches. Would this keep my tank cool enough? Here's their product: http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_HQIProaqualight.html

Do any other products have a similar option? I haven't found any in my search.

The tank cover only has room for small CPU-heatsink style fans, and it would be a challenge to install those. I'm not sure that they would move enough air to make a differerence.

Would 150W be enough to keep a clam on the bottom of this tank? I've got a 4 inch sandbed.

Many thanks,

John

Julio
09/11/2004, 06:07 PM
they won't cook your tank, but you will definitely need a chiller base on your ambient room temp. My chiller only runs over the summer really from june through mid sept, the rest of the year the heaters come on and off.

maxrep12
09/11/2004, 07:27 PM
You should look at T-5 lights! Cooler than VHO and PC and they pack quite a punch. Many reefers are using T-5 lights only with clams and sps.

Melbourne
09/11/2004, 08:16 PM
Hi,

I have the Aqualight Pro 150 HQI on one of my tanks, the 72" model it raises the tank temp by about 2 degrees. running with the stock legs. I run the halides only though.
Also consider the Aquaspacelight, it looks pretty nice and is compact. You might be able to fashion up some legs to mount the Aquaspacelight Mini Pendant, it looks better than the Aqualight Pro, you will have to hang it from the ceiling or they make the Aquawall mounting brackets that attach to your wall.
I run them both and they are both good products.

-Mike

There are some folks on RC that have done clams with the 150 HQI.