PDA

View Full Version : Euro-reef questions...

joojoo
09/09/2004, 11:46 AM
Hey guys, i'm about to buy a Euroreef skimmer. Either the ES5-3 or the CS6-1. It is for a 50 gallon tank. I don't mind about spending more on the CS6-1, but wondered whether it is worth it and is it a better skimmer for an in-sump, reef aquarium, with fuge? Also, could someone please give me some specs on how much space (in inches) is needed to remove the collection cup properly from both the ES5-3 or the CS6-1. The trouble is nobody sells them in England so i'm having to get it shipped! (and taxed :( )Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

AnemicOak
09/09/2004, 01:01 PM
If no one has been able to answer by tonight I'll check the space needed thing when I get home.

I found a place selling the ES5-3 for $198.00 and the CS6-1 for $280.00 brand new (not sure if they ship overseas, but you could check). If you're looking at paying more than that PM me & I can tell you where I found that price (it's not a sponsor so I don't know if it's ok to post the place).

SHOmuchFUN
09/09/2004, 01:07 PM
I'd also like to know clearance factors... Although I'm going to find out one way or another as it's on its way from Cali. I ordered a 5-3 blemished unit (PM for vendor) for about $200, but you need to pay for shipping ($15), so prices are similar.

The darn thing is 24" tall and can only stand in water 6-8" in depth. If Euro-Reef was smart, they'd have a collection cup that didn't need too much clearance. I'm still trying to figure out what to mount the skimmer on so that it doesn't sit in the sump too deep. My sump is only 9+" wide, so it's going to be a VERY TIGHT FIT!

hollback
09/09/2004, 02:04 PM
Hey JooJoo,
I am running the ES5-3 on my system and it has been doing great. I have a 75 gal tank with a 30 gallon sump. I don't know much about the CS6-1 so it is hard for me to compare the two. I can tell you about the 5-3:
Techinal specs:
Overall height: 24"
Reactions chamber: 5"x10"
Collection cup: 5"x 4" high
Footprint: 9"x9"
From personal experience you would need less than 1" of clearence to easily remove the collection cup. Euroreef advertises zero height clearance for cup removal.
I hope this helps!
Cheers,
~Jason

pbs911
09/09/2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by joojoo
Also, could someone please give me some specs on how much space (in inches) is needed to remove the collection cup properly from both the ES5-3 or the CS6-1.

I have the ES 8-2. You don't need any addtional room to remove the collection cup. You simply screw off the colar and slide off the cup. When I ordered mine I planed on 1/4" clearance from the top of the skimmer to the bottom of the stand. It worked perfectly. I would get the biggest one that will fit.

joojoo
09/09/2004, 03:33 PM
thanks so much guys, you've been really helpful. AnemicOak, the prices you said sound a huge load cheaper than what i was looking at from MarineDepot. but i've never PM'd before. I'll do it though. I can't wait to have a skimmer that actually works! I've been stuck with a red sea prizm piece of $**t for ages. hehe thanks again you guys, M

AnemicOak
09/09/2004, 04:04 PM
Joojoo, I sent you a PM with the info.

AnemicOak
09/12/2004, 05:48 PM
Joojoo & others who PM'd me for info on this "deal". I just heard this from Jeff @ EuroReef.

"Any product purchased from them does not have a valid warranty since they are not authorized to sell our product."

So if you're worried about warranty you might want to look elsewhere.

Dr
09/12/2004, 06:52 PM
This question is for Jeff.

Why would you do that to an Euro Reef customer? It's not the end users fault that they are taking advantage of a deal! Maybe Euroreef should control their distributon a little better!!!!!!!! Besides the end user bought the product because of the rep that it has and got it for a good price. So why punish the little guy?

Dr
09/12/2004, 07:04 PM
Another thought. Euro Reef should publish a statement on their website that only authorized distibutors will provided the person that pays thier bills with a full warranty.

Besides what does it matter who you buy it from, because Euro Reef obviously got their money for the product!

Dr
09/12/2004, 07:10 PM
Could someone let me know who the business is that is not an authorized distributor? I'm planning on upgrading. Maybe I'll go with an Aqua C if Euro Reef whats to play games like this!!!!!!!!

euroreef
09/12/2004, 11:50 PM
A link from our websites HOME page:

***IMPORTANT WARRANTY POLICY CHANGES AS OF JUNE 12, 2003***

which leads to this page: http://www.euro-reef.com/Warranty%20Changes%2006-03.htm

which reads:

June 12, 2003

As of today, June 12, 2003, Euro-Reef will only honor warranties on product(s) purchased from an authorized Euro-Reef dealer. If you are in doubt as to whether or not you are buying from an authorized dealer, please look here at our Authorzed Dealer Listing . It is extremely important that you send in a copy of your original sales receipt with your warranty card as this allows us to validate the dealer and the sale.

If you do not see your vendor listed on the Authorized Dealer Listing page, please ask them to contact us and we can look into establishing a dealership for them.

If you are a dealer selling Euro-Reef products and do not see your name listed on the Authorized Dealer Listing page, look here for additional information.

If you have any furhter questions, please contact us at 949.770.9913 and we will be happy to help you.

Sincerely,

Euro-Reef Customer Support Staff

~~~

Dr.

We are not trying to punish the little guy. We are trying to protect him! A dealer that is not authorized cannot properly represent and support our product, and that is unfair to you, the consumer. We do everything we can to ensure that unauthorized dealers that are selling or advertising our product are contacted and set up,or at least notified, that if they do not establish a dealership with us, they should not offer the product. Sometimes our dealers try to buy together with other stores to get better pricing and that is fine as long they are all Authorized Dealers.

If you ever have a question as to whether or not a dealer is authorized, simply call us and we'll tell you immediately.

-ER

Todd March
09/13/2004, 12:10 AM
joojoo, there is nothing magical about EuroReefs skimmers... They are well made and a great choice for American buyers... But Euroreef did have an agreement with H&S that they would never sell in Europe. That is the only reason you cannot buy them there (and why we never had H&S skimmers here until lately)...

I would save yourself some money and buy a Deltec or H&S skimmer, both of which are readily available in the UK and both of which are just as good of skimmers as the Euroreef. Plus parts and pumps will be much easier for you to get in case anything goes wrong in the future...

Hope this helps...

dattack
09/13/2004, 04:11 AM
Wouldn't it be in the same price range if you were to buy a deltec or H and S skimmer considering the shipping cost to England?

joojoo
09/13/2004, 07:04 AM
Well... the price is pretty much the same for a deltec with similar specification compared to a euroreef including shipping to england. Everyone raves about Euro-reef so much i just thought it would be better to actually buy one, rather then kicking myself when i wasn't happy. I guess the problem is that the deltec ones are v expensive here to get a good one, and the ones for smaller tanks are less favourable. So... i dunno what to do. oh also, the deltec ones get really tall for larger volumes, while the CS6-1 for example is quite favourable in size.

Dattack - you cannot buy H&S skimmers here either. they have to be shipped from europe, which is probably just as expensive as it being shipped from the states.

Thanks for all your help

Dr
09/13/2004, 08:01 AM
Sorry Jeff. Guess I should have looked at the WARRANTY POLICY link.