PDA

View Full Version : Power backup is a must; just coming back online here in WPB!

Tpareefer
09/08/2004, 08:05 PM
Power backup is a must, especially if you live in a state like Florida that expects to be hit by several hurricanes a year. I can not stress this enough, just going through a 5 day power outage, how important this is for your investment.

It was first, the 30$ total investment in 2 'Bubble Box's that got me and my tank through the actual storm (which turned out to be almost 22 hours). These are a very cheap and very reliable running on 2 D size batts for 3 days.

Second came the 40$ 400 watt power invertor that I hooked up to my car battery to run the pumps and a fan, my TV / PSII and a fan. This was only a viable option, once the storm calmed down enough to open my garage slightly to air out the car exhust.

Then came my 5600 watt power generator which sustained my whole family, not to mention my tank for thedays following Francis.

I went and bought all of these back ups weeks before Hurricane Francis after reading of fellow reefers preparing for Charlie. Do not wait to the last minute!!!! We all in this hobby spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on our tanks for bigger and brighter lights, top of the line skimmers, tons of fish and corals. So why don't we take a few extra dollars and invest in the protection of our investment and pray you never get the chance to use the back up!

I would suggest that every one go get at least one battery powered back up and prepare now, not in the face of pending doom!

If anyone knows of anyone that may need some help here on the east coast, PM me. I live in Lake Worth and besides a few large trees down, I and my home did well. God bless everyone!

need4reef
09/08/2004, 11:12 PM
i couldn't agree more!!!

i was out of power for 4 days during charley.... then 2 more days for frances....

i bought a 6250W generator 3 days before charley.... my reef thanks me for it:D ... i had 100% survival through both storms.... i have had my tank for 7 months now, and i have been thinking of a generator since i bought the tank...

Reefmedic79
09/08/2004, 11:22 PM
I agree also but you have to admit, Florida hasn't been hit like this in a long time. I was out of power for 8 days during Charley and 3 for Frances. Some sort of back-up power supply should be on the need to have list for anyone planning on seting a tank up in FL.

Need4reef- Are you a ORCA member?

need4reef
09/08/2004, 11:35 PM
Need4reef- Are you a ORCA member?

not yet.... i am soooo trying to be, if these hurricanes will let up;)

i do know some of you folks though...

Seven Seas, Anja, Chris, Ben.... i will make it there one of these days... i need frags!!!

Reefmedic79
09/08/2004, 11:40 PM
need4reef YGPM

Ali
09/09/2004, 12:05 AM
I just got through 4 days w/o power, running a fairly large size air pump on UPCs with a wooden air stone and nothing else. I had two UPCs and i was able to use one while the other one was charging at school. Worked great and did not lose anything(fish, softies, LPS and SPS).

I just bought a bubble box myslef. Compared to the airpump i used it produces considerably less bubbles. The instructions say the bubble box airates 7.5 gallons. I am sure this is depended on how many fish in the 7.5 etc.

Does anyone have any experience as to how many of these are required to sustain a 40g tank with avarage number of corals and fish. Also is there any advantage to running a wooden airstone which produces finer bubbles vs one that makes larger bubbles?

Thanks

bowfront
09/09/2004, 12:14 AM
I agree totally. I wasn't prepared enough but survived this time. Now I'm doing homework on generators and going to stockpile essential emergency supplies. Tpareefer this storm really knocked us for a loop....curfews at night, no alcohol sales, long lines for ice and gas (if you can find it) are not something that I was expecting. Next time I will know more on what to expect. I got by ok also. Some oak limbs on the roof and lots and lots of raking up debris but no structural damage to the house and somehow no tank loss. I don't want to face another hurricane this year.

need4reef
09/09/2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Ali
I just got through 4 days w/o power, running a fairly large size air pump on UPCs with a wooden air stone and nothing else. I had two UPCs and i was able to use one while the other one was charging at school. Worked great and did not lose anything(fish, softies, LPS and SPS).

I just bought a bubble box myslef. Compared to the airpump i used it produces considerably less bubbles. The instructions say the bubble box airates 7.5 gallons. I am sure this is depended on how many fish in the 7.5 etc.

Does anyone have any experience as to how many of these are required to sustain a 40g tank with avarage number of corals and fish. Also is there any advantage to running a wooden airstone which produces finer bubbles vs one that makes larger bubbles?

Thanks ;)

Scuba Dog
09/09/2004, 01:01 AM
I totaly understand power faileres due to bad weather, I live in the south, actually arkansas and we have a history of having at least one bad ice storm every two years or more often, thats a garanteed multi day power failer......so before winter hit i bought a 6700 watt generator just for that purpose, it was cheaper for me to buy the generator than to replace my live stock....I definitly beleive that if you have a reef tank and have a few grand invested in it why not invest a grand and pick up a generator.......heck some people out in the rural areas were out of power for two weeks two years ago, and with in a week of that we were hit by another ice storm.........so I can relate.....downed trees....and what not, but with an ice storm its sure an adventure going to work lol im thankfull just to make it to work at all that time of year........

and if money is a concern im sure one coulld do a payment plan for 20 bucks a month on one........at sears or something.......

clkwrk
09/09/2004, 01:14 AM
I really feel for you guys . I myself have 2 5500 watt generators to support my many tanks when monsoons knock out our power.

I agree so many people spend so much on their tanks and never buy the things that can save their tanks when a disaster hits or the power goes out.