PDA

View Full Version : Gee...If only I could use the search feature.....

John Kelly
09/08/2004, 06:38 PM
One of the reasons why I don't really surf this site much anymore, Yet, it is so easy and free to post a worthless bandwidth hogging post and start a hard drive filling thread with thousands of useless characters and pictures; just like so many here on ReefCentral do everyday. The POST function is never "temporarily disabled due to high server load".......go figure?? Maybe disable the READ function too....that would really save some bandwidth.

cwegescheide
09/08/2004, 06:59 PM
Hi there. I understand your frustration and I also think if I could only use the search I wouldn't have to ask the same question thats been asked a million times... Is my PH too high?? :)

I think it might be due to the amount of data that your query is trying to sift thru I am sure. I bet you RC could use a little bit of data warehousing expertise possibly (not to be a slam to RC by any means) I as most people appreciate their services and can also appreciate the amount of effort put forth to keep up this site.

I would be interested in looking at the RC back end to see what kindof volume of data they they have and how the process could be improved upon. Maybe by better data modeling (architecture of database tables and data archive strategies) can the bandwidth be decreased when running queries on 200K rows than 2million rows??? Either that or its a matter of their T1(s) access charges?? I am not a web developer but a data warehousing developer and have no clue how the web part works.

I would not be too harsh on the RC guys. If you have no idea how computer stuff works I think you might be surprised to realize the complexity of the stuff that you don't see as a user of the site. Maybe if you cough up a few bux and get the premium membership then you will have better access to the search feature then maybe you might have more of a right to complain. Personally if you try from time to time throughout the day normally you will get to do some searches. I know if I can't get the feature if I try back in a few minutes it usually is available.

thedude
09/08/2004, 10:06 PM
This has been pretty well covered in the feedback forum. But the gist of it is that the searches are limited because of the amount of resources they take. There is a tremendous amount of data in these forums, and with hundreds of users online at any one time that can bring a server to its knees.

If the search feature were given the same priority as others then you would be seeing server busy messages when you tried to read or browse the site.

This site has gone through some tremendous upgrades and they are always improving things. Normally, a site with this much traffic, and complexity would have a fulltime paid staff to keep things running. The amount of money it would take to constantly upgrade the hardware, and maintain a staff of programmers is extreme.

You probably don't remember when this site was run on a windows server, crashed several times a day, had constant busy messages, and so on.

North Bay 101
09/09/2004, 12:40 AM
I have never seen the search button not be available but then I am a supporting member. I do know that the admins turn the search button off when the traffic gets too busy. We used to see server busy messages but I haven't seen one of those in months. I feel that they do a great job providing this resource to us. I have seen the spell checker working better in the last month.

staticfishmonger
09/09/2004, 01:14 AM
yeah and if you just keep clicking it eventually it will find room for you to queeze in. i have never had to push it more than a few times before getting in. also if you know what forum the info you want maybe in you can go to the bottom of the page and there is a box to write in, in the right corner. it will search just the forum your in, like the "reef disscusion" for example. (a little hidden treasure)....lol

MalHavoc
09/09/2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by staticfishmonger
yeah and if you just keep clicking it eventually it will find room for you to queeze in. i have never had to push it more than a few times before getting in. also if you know what forum the info you want maybe in you can go to the bottom of the page and there is a box to write in, in the right corner. it will search just the forum your in, like the "reef disscusion" for example. (a little hidden treasure)....lol

Mashing the search button is counter productive, actually. Each click of that button drives the load up on the server, compounding the problem. Your best options are to use the feature earlier in the morning (say, before 9 am EDT), or become a contributing member (who almost never have busy messages).

John Kelly
09/09/2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by MalHavoc
Your best options are to use the feature earlier in the morning (say, before 9 am EDT), or become a contributing member (who almost never have busy messages).

Right here is the point of this post. If you are not a contributing member you are placed on the "low priority" list and therefore endup with a "server busy" message that is basically a lie. The server is really not busy or unable to do the search, you just haven't paid enough money yet to get "high priority" to use the search. RC's definition of a contributing member is one who "sends money". What about the thousands of people who have posted their experiences, their research, shared their pictures, shared their data, and have taken the time to compile it and put it on here? Are they not the REAL "contributing members"? Isn't this how RC attracted sponsors in the first place? Maybe RC should be paying it's members for their contributions.

MalHavoc
09/09/2004, 08:10 AM
Actually, no, the server REALLY is busy when we generate those messages. Not blocking searches at all or raising the level at which the searches were blocked would result in a site that was slow for *everything*, like browsing, sending private messages, and posting replies and/or new threads. We had that situation in the past. We used to let searches just go through all the time, and *everyone* complained about the speed of the board. It costs a ton of money to run a site this large (hardware costs, bandwidth, etc) and purchasing the necessary hardware to allow the board to run full speed for everyone all the time is just not economically feasible at this point in time.

Q-ball
09/09/2004, 09:15 AM
Yes, it's just a conspiracy to raise money so the admins can afford their Ferrari's. Reminds me that it's time for JohnL to give me a raise, I'm tired of working my day job too :rolleyes:

Pardon the sarcasm, but this is just getting quite old. This conspiracy theory has been thrown up again & again & again and IMO it's really quite ridiculous.

J4Life
09/09/2004, 09:35 AM
Well I just wanted to put my two cents in here and sorry if it comes out rather brash.

I was initially turned off by the idea that I had to pay in order to get a higher priority for searches, however the cost is very little considering the value that this site brings and IMO I can't complain. The members of this thread for the most part and particularly the staff who dedicate their time while working other full-time jobs are to be commended for their consistent and courteous attitudes that they exhibit with all the complaining that they have to deal with day in and day out.

Thank you RC Staff, Moderators, and members for all the help you have given myself and countless others. I really appreciate it. If the search function bothers you that much and you feel that there is some great scheme being deployed by ReefCentral you can always find another site, but if you can get over yourself then you to can enjoy the endless(it seems) amount of data available to you here at ReefCentral.

Thanks for listening,
Bill:)

ps. Now I need to go wipe the brown stuff off of my nose!:lol:

ssheipel
09/09/2004, 09:47 AM
I admit the reason I became a RC supporter (ahem, meaning I pay the HUGE dollars it takes to do so :) ) is because the search function -- which always did eventually work for me -- was a bit frustrating some days.

But that said, I have found the site so valuable and entertaining that I think my money is very well spent. I wanted to pay to support the site, frankly. And given the stupid amounts of $$ I've paid so far into this hobby, well, by comparison the RC support fee is miniscule.

And that said, if you can't afford the fee (and I know there are people who cannot, of course) then be patient with the search engine, it will work eventually. And if you just can't wait then start a thread and ask away with your questions, including asking if anyone can provide a link to a similar thread.

Oh, and I have noticed too that the search function is even slow for RC supporters when it's time for new tires on the fine Italian sports cars driven by ALL RC staff members! :)

steve

J4Life
09/09/2004, 09:54 AM
ssheipel,
Well said. I need to work on my communication skills some more. By the way is your avatar a picture of underwear with wings?:lol:

Thanks,
Bill

ssheipel
09/09/2004, 10:07 AM
WHAT! I thought that was a bluebird!!! :)

gregt
09/09/2004, 10:10 AM
Even the daily paper costs more than $2 a month.

J4Life
09/09/2004, 10:20 AM
True dat, gregt. True dat!!:D

BrianD
09/09/2004, 03:16 PM
ReefArtist, I think you have made the right decision. Don't come to the site if it can't provide you for free all the services you believe you are entitled to. I see no reason to frustrate yourself. Personally, I am usually grateful for what someone gives me rather than resentful that it wasn't enough.

jfloydr
09/09/2004, 07:52 PM
I got dial up so i really need the search as to save some time.

gregt
09/09/2004, 08:03 PM
Some tips for dialup users. Disabling avatars and signatures will make a big difference in surfing time.