PDA

View Full Version : Frag drive for tanks ravaged by Frances!?

Reefpoints
09/08/2004, 01:53 PM
I was thinking perhaps we non-Floridians could donate frags from our tanks to help restock those who suffered losses due to the hurricane. Maybe just ask the recipient to cover the shipping costs or something?

In about 2 weeks, I'll be downsizing from my 30 gal display to a 20 gal. So to make it all fit, I'll be making many frags which I could donate.

I'll update this link later with a list of corals I'll be fragging. Let me know if you're interested.

Reefpoints
09/08/2004, 02:02 PM
^bump

Diesel3443
09/08/2004, 02:44 PM
I would take some frags, I lost about four or five of my corals during the power outage(thank god the power came back on yesterday :) ) I feel bad for all of my fellow reefers that still do not have power. Good luck to all.I think its great that people like yourself would be willing to do that. PM me with details

Sean

need4reef
09/08/2004, 03:48 PM
that would be a very nice thing to do!!

Reefpoints
09/08/2004, 03:52 PM
Sean,

Sounds good. I don't have many softies (other than pom-pom and red xenia), but I do have some LPS (hammer, frog spawn, candy-cane) and SPS (pink pocillopora, orange montipora, some purple-ish acros, something green...).

I'll send you photos when we're get closer to fragging time and you can tell me what you want.

-Jason

Reefpoints
09/08/2004, 06:03 PM
^bump

Diesel3443
09/08/2004, 07:25 PM
Sounds good Jason I really do appreciate the fact that you offered to do this. SPS and LPS are cool ;). SPS coral is what I lost in my 10gal temps soared and I couldnt save them(wasnt there). What I cant believe is how my maxima, 2 croceas, and derasa clams appear to be uneffected. Thanks to those wonderful battery powered airstones :)

Sean

Reefpoints
09/08/2004, 08:59 PM
I just posted a photo of my tank in the gallery (camera icon above).

The LPS' are around the bottom and sides, while the SPS sits in the top center.

-Jason

dogfacepuffer
09/08/2004, 09:07 PM
Our power went out durung Charley. It's wierd how much you rejoice when the electric comes back on. We made the decision to get a generator, so we didn't lose anything. Now we just have to pay for that generator...

bowfront
09/08/2004, 10:39 PM
Man just got power today. We've been off since last Friday. Ran the tank for the first three days with just airstones in total darkness (shutters on the window) to keep the temp staple and down. On Monday I got lucky and borrowed a 3500W generator from work. Then I started running a few things including the actinics at night.

This morning I went out to HD and bought one of those $79 AC window units and got it fired up with the generator. It worked like a charm and I was looking forward to sleeping in the tank room tonight but then the power came back on. You really don't realize how dependant we are on electricity until you have to go a few days without it.

BTW, It's been a mess down here since the storm hit with very scarse gasoline, ATM's, and ice. Ice becomes a golden commodity very quickly and credit cards become useless w/o electricty. Oh well glad it's over. I had absolutely no losses of fish or corals, which amazes me.

Lessa
09/08/2004, 10:57 PM
I hope all you Floridians are OK. I think we should wait till Ivan passes before doing a frag drive. You guys have enough to deal with without having to worry about acclimating new frags.

need4reef
09/08/2004, 11:28 PM
thats a good point!

my windows are still boarded

Reefpoints
09/10/2004, 09:24 AM
I agree. As I said, I'll be fragging in about a week to week and a half and can hold them for a bit if extra time is needed to get power back up.

Aquaman
09/10/2004, 09:46 AM
Even if you wait till Ivan has passed we are only 1/2 way through the hurricane season. We usually get most of the storms in October, so there may be a few more on the way.

taketz
09/10/2004, 09:54 AM
I would definately be interested but we should wait until Ivan clears a path straight through Florida.

This will be number three for Orlando :(

~