PDA

View Full Version : Clown fish turning agressive

baz
09/04/2004, 10:06 AM
Man recently my clown fish have been mean. I think they now maybe the reason my royal gramma died. I put my hand in the tank today while doing a water change and it was like a attack of the killer bees! BAM BAM BAM they just started attack me! I thought in the past they were but they would turn and go the other way now they are really tagging my hand! I may have to get some armor and dive in a wrestle for a bit! What would all of a sudden make them this way?

TIA,

Baz

Chris777
09/04/2004, 10:08 AM
Most clowns do become aggressive when they get older. I What kind of clowns are they?

baz
09/04/2004, 10:12 AM
nemos!

Chris777
09/04/2004, 10:25 AM
thats werid the ones i have allways been pretty calm. They arent half as bad as my clarkiis. How many of them are there in the tank? Also are they hosting a anemone or something else this can also cause them to get more aggressive. I also have seen some get more aggressive if the female has laid eggs.

cwbroden
09/04/2004, 10:28 AM
baz, I assume you mean an Ocellaris Clown, correct? And as Chris said, if they have laid eggs they do get more aggressive. I note that change in my mated pair whenever they lay eggs. Normally they are fine, but when eggs are in the tank.... watch out.

baz
09/04/2004, 11:05 AM
yes O. Clowns... maybe she did lay eggs.. I'm not sure where they would be as they have not hosted in anything...may be time for some tank watching!!

Baz

H2OLUVSME
09/04/2004, 12:18 PM
may be time for some tank watching!!

its always time for tank watching :D

LT

baz
09/04/2004, 12:41 PM
agreed...

hwynboy
09/04/2004, 12:44 PM
They do not have to be gravid or have laid eggs to become aggressive that way. I have had ocellaris that attacked me just because I had my hand in their tank. =)

ellamaeruth
09/04/2004, 01:45 PM
My true perc defends its hammer coral with its life! Attacks me and the foxface if we get too close.

Just ousted a tomato clown from my aggressive tank for being the bully and he lived with triggers!!

Clowns get more aggressive as they get older.

flycut
09/04/2004, 03:51 PM
Yep they hit my fingers every time I put my hands in.

msn711
09/04/2004, 11:29 PM
Not good. I have a pair of juvenile gold striped maroon clowns (I say juvenile because their stripes haven't even turned gold yet) and they already won't let me put my hand in the tank. I can't imagine them getting much worse.

Good luck with your nemos.

Chris777
09/05/2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by msn711
Not good. I have a pair of juvenile gold striped maroon clowns (I say juvenile because their stripes haven't even turned gold yet) and they already won't let me put my hand in the tank. I can't imagine them getting much worse.

Good luck with your nemos.

Well i must of got lucky with mine so far cause mine arent aggressive and if they do i will Bite back :bum: