PDA

View Full Version : Primary source of micro-bubbles in sump?

tygger
09/02/2004, 09:22 PM
Where does most of the bubbles come from, the drain and/or the output of the skimmer?

SaltyMist
09/02/2004, 09:25 PM
Generally speaking the primary source of the bubbles that I have had in the past have been from the overflow drain draining into the tank which is easy to take care of using a simple filter bag (like the stuff you put carbon in). My skimmer doesnt produce any bubbles anymore into my sump, but Im using a seaclone 100 skimmer and it only produces bubbles if I increase the flow and decrease the bubbles in the reaction chamber so..... YMMV.

tygger
09/02/2004, 09:35 PM
Thanks, I guess it would be helpful to know my skimmer, it's a Euroreef CS6-1.

magz
09/02/2004, 09:48 PM
I have an aquamedic T1000. It leaks some microbubbles and this disolves into the chamber before it gets to my refuge. I have a throttle on the skimmer, by turning it down a little, it gets rid of the bubbles....does yours have anything like that? Or an air control valve?

tygger
09/02/2004, 09:50 PM
It's air controlled, no valve. I guess I could add a air valve, but it wasn't designed for one.

Dr
09/02/2004, 10:16 PM
Hey tygger,

I spoke with Robert at EuroReef about my CS 6-1 throwing a lot of micro bubbles. He said that there was not much that could be done besides adding more baffles. He also mentioned that you could put a airline valve on the air intake tube to adjust the air intake. I think that the only down side to this is that you would lose some of the efficiency.

I'm going out of town this weekend so I think that I will try the valve when I get back. Dont want anything crazy to happen while I'm gone.

Skipponator
09/02/2004, 10:27 PM
okay so why are micro bubbles bad?

tygger
09/02/2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Dr
Hey tygger,

I spoke with Robert at EuroReef about my CS 6-1 throwing a lot of micro bubbles. He said that there was not much that could be done besides adding more baffles. He also mentioned that you could put a airline valve on the air intake tube to adjust the air intake. I think that the only down side to this is that you would lose some of the efficiency.

I'm going out of town this weekend so I think that I will try the valve when I get back. Dont want anything crazy to happen while I'm gone.

Cool. Keep me updated. I'm sure you'll be back before I get everything setup.

Dr
09/02/2004, 10:42 PM
It's not that they are bad but if you have a lot in your display tank alls I seem to see are those darn little bubbles and not all the little critters.

cusweatin
09/02/2004, 10:54 PM
my skimmer use to make bubbles where it drained so what i did was took a carbon bag filled it with carbon and tied it on the outlet of the skimmer so now theres no more bubbles and all the skimmer drain water is going through carbon oh yeah and it helped to quiet it down some. Has worked like a charm for me so far but you know what they say different strokes for different folks

CaliforniaDreamer
09/02/2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Skipponator
okay so why are micro bubbles bad?

I use to use a Seaclone 100 HOB and the micro bubbles would be so bad sometimes the water would look milky. I always had trouble keeping the Seaclone in adjustment for various reasons. Have a Euro Reef ES5-3 in my sump now, no more micro bubbles. BTW I use to think the Seaclone extracted a lot, the Euro Reef seems much better, the water is "gin" clear now. Looks like the fish are floating in air.
:D I love my Euro. :D