PDA

View Full Version : how long do CF bulbs last?

joekr
09/02/2004, 07:51 PM
I've been having some strange happenings of late, namely some red slime algae (just a little), zoos not wanting to open and some green grass like algae (not hair algae) cropping up on some of the rocks.

Could it be my bulbs have gone bad due to age? The original bulbs have been running now for almost 7 months.....

Tom checked my water a couple of days ago and it's perfect, so I'm positive, it's not that.....

Thanks!

Joe

S Helinski
09/03/2004, 09:19 AM
Im pretty sure you should replace most bulbs at about 8 months. Other people might have a different opinion on that, but i think that was the norm.

Do you, or did you have algae eaters in your tank? Did something recently die in your tank? Perhaps you don't know about it? Even if your water tested perfect, there could be alot of built up nutrients to feed the algae stored away in your sand/gravel and inside your rocks.

I kind of doubt it would be because of a shift in wavelength or intensity from the lights. But that is possible.

Steve

joekr
09/03/2004, 12:10 PM
Well, I stopped by CF over lunch and got a replacement bulb. All the specs were the same as the original bulb, with the exception of it is a 65 watt bulb instead of a 55 watt (my ballast can handle either).

The difference is amazing! 10 watts should not make that much difference and now I'm wondering if the bulb/ballast combo I got from hellolights had a really cheap, no name bulb with it. I replaced it with a custom sea life bulb and I can really tell the difference.

I think the true test will be when the wife gets home...I won't tell her I changed the bulb and we'll see if she notices...

Thanks for the info Steve! I'll update further tomorrow...